Mint mate. Make the the most of it you most likely never to cross another. Well done atb.

Cheers mate, to be honest it's more the rarity, and novelty that has got my attention, there are some far more impressive looking hares on this land, dark ginger red coated and physically stronger looking, I've always thought they were the older ones that have managed to survive for a few seasons

Mint mate. Make the the most of it you most likely never to cross another. Well done atb.

Cheers mate, to be honest it's more the rarity, and novelty that has got my attention, there are some far more impressive looking hares on this land, dark ginger red coated and physically stronger looking, I've always thought they were the older ones that have managed to survive for a few seasons

That's all any odd or rare colour is a novelty or freak. Trouble is everybody wants it ! Look no further than the mutations in British birds. Guess we are all the same though ,we see some thing odd and break our necks for a better look or get a pic. I'm no different and would well put myself out the way to see an oddity. Makes you wonder mind how that hare made it from a leveret as it would be an easy target . Maybe it was born normal and turned white who knows. Massive chance but could it be a mountain hare? Talking to a keeper in Cheviots a while back and he had seen a couple in a place they had never been seen. Real reliable man no bullshiter so ? For fecksake don't say where it is the it will end up like the Waterloo Cup reborn atb.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been up on this same land today, and as I was watching three hares another two come out from the other side of the hedge real odd looking things with brown and white mottled coats no sign of the pure

I was out walking yesterday, and saw a white (brown) hare, first time I've ever seen one in 25 years of watching hares, and seeing thousands of hares, I wonder how rare they must be, it was a nice thi

there is a place near me that has produced a few white brown hares over the years, killed one lamping in the eighties (would not do it again) there was a story in the paper recently about a young girl

Posted Images

Real interesting find lpd, must have a lot of luck on his side to survive all the shite hawks ect, the stuffed one was marked like a Dutch rabbit.

It's a keepered shooting area, with a syndicate aswell, was talking to the farmer yesterday when he came over to me on his quad, and he said he'd never seen it

That's all any odd or rare colour is a novelty or freak. Trouble is everybody wants it ! Look no further than the mutations in British birds. Guess we are all the same though ,we see some thing odd and break our necks for a better look or get a pic. I'm no different and would well put myself out the way to see an oddity. Makes you wonder mind how that hare made it from a leveret as it would be an easy target . Maybe it was born normal and turned white who knows. Massive chance but could it be a mountain hare? Talking to a keeper in Cheviots a while back and he had seen a couple in a place they had never been seen. Real reliable man no bullshiter so ? For fecksake don't say where it is the it will end up like the Waterloo Cup reborn atb.

My old mate who is in his seventies told me just the other day that he had seen some white hares in the Cheviots years ago, this one I've seen is on lower ground, and is the same size as the two brown hares I saw it running about with last tuesday, also would a blue hare not have turned dark again by this time of year ?
  • Like 1

Is it albino Low plains? Meaning true albino ,pink eyes ? Guess you aint been close enough to see though. Can't help thinking may be a blue. Wonder if anyone has ever netted them before and moved them about? Don't mean that one just in general.Funny them getting seen in places aint been seen for years. They reckon Pine Martins in Cheviots too. DNA on scat was being tested.Yetis next lol atb.

A blue hare is still white and will be for a good few more weeks until they start with the summer moult....

Cheers JD, I don't go anywhere that holds any blue hares, did'nt know the coat colour change was connected to moulting, thought it was something to do with an internal change ?, I remember Omanyra explaining it one time

Is it albino Low plains? Meaning true albino ,pink eyes ? Guess you aint been close enough to see though. Can't help thinking may be a blue. Wonder if anyone has ever netted them before and moved them about? Don't mean that one just in general.Funny them getting seen in places aint been seen for years. They reckon Pine Martins in Cheviots too. DNA on scat was being tested.Yetis next lol atb.

Have'nt had a chance to see the eyes mate, he's a flighty one, but, it is well away from any heather moors, or high hill country

Off subject a bit but I see a white cock blackbird now and again, the first time it had a few black wing and tail feathers but is nearly all white now.

My mate mentioned something about white blackbirds the other day, wonder if there is a dormant gene that throws up every now and then ?

Just wondering what the odds are if such a hare (white/albino) producing offspring such as themselves? I've caught thousands over the years but never seen one such as this & I've travelled around a bit lol..nice one LPD

Just wondering what the odds are if such a hare (white/albino) producing offspring such as themselves? I've caught thousands over the years but never seen one such as this & I've travelled around a bit lol..nice one LPD

I was wondering the same thing mate, this land used to get hammered by dog lads, and I've never heard of anybody seeing or catching any white hares in the area, maybe it is a gene that comes through after remaining dormant for so many generations, who knows, my guess is there would have been a white hare on this land decades ago, and the gene has come through again to produce this hare, there is a healthy population of hares on this place, and all the rest are the usual sandy, or ginger/red coloured
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Been up on this same land today, and as I was watching three hares another two come out from the other side of the hedge real odd looking things with brown and white mottled coats no sign of the pure white, but I was watching her last year being followed by a normal hare so guessing these will be her leverets. 

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit off subject but had albino brown rat ( had it up on odd color rabbits) never had one before caught 5 in Feb 2018 on a estate in Northumberland all in different parts of the estate. The lads say they get them every year.WHITE.jpg.3e6599b79668c1a5d86b7debe57aada1.jpg

PUD

Edited by WHWT