I was out walking yesterday, and saw a white (brown) hare, first time I've ever seen one in 25 years of watching hares, and seeing thousands of hares, I wonder how rare they must be, it was a nice thing to see, and the last I saw of it, it was with 2 other hares, as they went through the fence into an area of gorse, I tried to get another look, but no luck, I'll be going back some time soon though at first light, just wish I had a decent camera lol

• Like 4

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been up on this same land today, and as I was watching three hares another two come out from the other side of the hedge real odd looking things with brown and white mottled coats no sign of the pure

I was out walking yesterday, and saw a white (brown) hare, first time I've ever seen one in 25 years of watching hares, and seeing thousands of hares, I wonder how rare they must be, it was a nice thi

there is a place near me that has produced a few white brown hares over the years, killed one lamping in the eighties (would not do it again) there was a story in the paper recently about a young girl

Posted Images

SAW ONE ROUND ELY ABOUT 3O YEARS AGO ON THE BLACK THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A BAG TILL IT GOT UP NEVER RUN IT JUST LET IT RUN OFF ONLY ONE IN ALL THAT TIME ATB

They are probably a once in a lifetime sighting, that's if you're even lucky enough to see one at all, the one I've just seen is in a quiet area in Northumberland off the beaten track, so I'm hoping to get another look one morning

Cheers Stone Rose, I'd love to get close enough to it for a photo, I saw that one Logan Molly on Gypsy Blood, there is a white one in the Country Mischief book that CD caught with his lurcher years ago. I won't be letting my bitch off her lead where this one is though, would'nt do anything for me seeing this one horizontal

• Like 1

there is a place near me that has produced a few white brown hares over the years, killed one lamping in the eighties (would not do it again) there was a story in the paper recently about a young girl who had brought a wild white baby rabbit home, turned out to be a leveret and it was successfully reared. the family kept it as a pet, there garden backed onto the land that produced the white hares.

• Like 3

Seen a gold like a palomino pony coloured one on wildlife doc think it was in Kent. The island with all the gravel n little beach huts on it. Caught a few bunnys that colour before but aint seen odd coloured hare in the flesh.atb

• Like 1

there is a place near me that has produced a few white brown hares over the years, killed one lamping in the eighties (would not do it again) there was a story in the paper recently about a young girl who had brought a wild white baby rabbit home, turned out to be a leveret and it was successfully reared. the family kept it as a pet, there garden backed onto the land that produced the white hares.

That's interesting to hear mate, I've read that hares can't be reared as they are just too wild, there is a topic on here with a photo of an adult hare sitting side by side with a terrier in the living room watching the telly lol

Well I was over the windy land at first light this morning, and got another sighting of the white hare, here's a few pics that I took from about 200 metres away
white%20hare%20022_zpsbyltofip.jpg

white%20hare%20023_zpsvucdkedc.jpg

white%20hare%20021_zpsz2pqaxuo.jpg?428

poor images due to the zoom on my camcorder, but I had to take my chance to get some pics, he wasn't hanging about, and I didn't get another sighting, must be my week to see some odd creatures, look at this bad boy lol

white%20hare%20018_zpsaoxr3mfs.jpg?394

white%20hare%20011_zpst9yxvra7.jpg?669

white%20hare%20015_zps7yep4uj5.jpg?202

• Like 2

Mint mate. Make the the most of it you most likely never to cross another. Well done atb.

Cheers mate, to be honest it's more the rarity, and novelty that has got my attention, there are some far more impressive looking hares on this land, dark ginger red coated and physically stronger looking, I've always thought they were the older ones that have managed to survive for a few seasons