lads i kill more than my share of foxes from august to march but it would be against everything in to believe in to kill a fox in between... in fact every vixen after xmas is let go...an u will have fools coming on saying lambing calls etc.... i have been called to remove foxes out of season an they were removed alright but released in another area miles away where they wouldnt be a problem...farmer happy problem solved...there are ways around everything.. i would get out of the game rather than kill defenceless cubs a few wks old.... i have unbelievable admiration for the fox... what an animal they are an what sport they have given me...

You really are unbelievable dumb to come on the Internet and admit that!

people like you damaging terrier work more than you think! Well done f***ing idiot

hey moron im in ireland where its all still legal.....we dont have gamekeepers an shooting estates so i cant comment on that... i have a pack of hounds an used to do alot of terrier work but not any more.... for me its about having respect for ur quarry... i dont think these heroes putting up pictures of lines of dead cubs is doing the hunting image any good

I'll eat my humble pie and apologize! Sorry I thought you were on about digging and releasing in England

Digging and releasing,boundaries that we must suffer under because of political restraints and the laws of the land,seriously when politicians and the law they attempt to restrain us asunder get in the way of decent hunting practice,its the time to stop hunting.Who respects the law that the fecking feckwits attempt to govern us asunder?,only the feckwits,the rest hunt within the boundaries of decent hunting practice,always have and always will,irrespective of the law of the land,any fecking land and law.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tripod. a local dog fox with one of his cubs at the earth. he was a cripple and still helped the vixen feed the cubs. along with a cub from the previous year. ive watch these foxes for generations and

I really cannot believe that you didnt know the dog is involved in the up bringing of cubs FD but you dont seem convinced ....as for the dog only being vocal during the rut I can guarentee you he will

great too see hunters respecting what they hunt and ive learnt something from this thread , think we need too be open minded about things , and its true believe what you see and sometimes if that's al

Posted Images

Nothing wrong with releasing foxes after all the rspca do it regular releasing problem foxes from the city into the countryside at least cusack is just moving country foxes back into country which I admire a man for shows a lot of respect for the animal. Very good thread this you get to know the summer hunters and failed terrier men and the ones that have no respect for quarry you don't have to look to hard for them they comment straight away when someone writes a post of respect to the fox

Nothing wrong with releasing foxes after all the rspca do it regular releasing problem foxes from the city into the countryside at least cusack is just moving country foxes back into country which I admire a man for shows a lot of respect for the animal. Very good thread this you get to know the summer hunters and failed terrier men and the ones that have no respect for quarry you don't have to look to hard for them they comment straight away when someone writes a post of respect to the fox

Its naive to release anything into a failed release environment,its non conductive to the host species.The animal rights brigade,especially the RSPCA,don,t have a fecking clue and cause more suffering and death with their ill advised release programmes,than even the naive hunter wishing to protect his or her hunting practice.The reason the land we hunt does not hold the quarry we wish to hunt is obvious to the quarry that do not frequent it.

• Like 1

lads i kill more than my share of foxes from august to march but it would be against everything in to believe in to kill a fox in between... in fact every vixen after xmas is let go...an u will have fools coming on saying lambing calls etc.... i have been called to remove foxes out of season an they were removed alright but released in another area miles away where they wouldnt be a problem...farmer happy problem solved...there are ways around everything.. i would get out of the game rather than kill defenceless cubs a few wks old.... i have unbelievable admiration for the fox... what an animal they are an what sport they have given me...

You really are unbelievable dumb to come on the Internet and admit that!

people like you damaging terrier work more than you think! Well done f***ing idiot

hey moron im in ireland where its all still legal.....we dont have gamekeepers an shooting estates so i cant comment on that... i have a pack of hounds an used to do alot of terrier work but not any more.... for me its about having respect for ur quarry... i dont think these heroes putting up pictures of lines of dead cubs is doing the hunting image any good

I'll eat my humble pie and apologize! Sorry I thought you were on about digging and releasing in England

apology accepted fair play.... look everyone has there own opinion on the subject thats just where i stand on it....

• 2 weeks later...

Well mate in truth I only have 3 days worth of footage which I can't seem to get on here .I can view it on I pad but not on PC where I want it .They are American bought so I'm wondering if format is different to ours .The footage shows cubs squabbling over a wing and then leaving the area as well as the vixen coming in at night .Also a badger near the earth!.The cubs from there have no been moved elsewhere .The other two cameras weren't put up as I've not found a place where they won't get nicked .Frustrating mate .

• Like 1

vixen_with_cubs_02.jpgThe dog fox, and in some cases non-breeding ‘helper’ vixens (see: Behaviour and Sociality), will hunt for food to sustain the vixen and the cubs until the cubs are sufficiently independent to be left for longer periods (around six weeks old); the vixen will then resume hunting for herself and the cubs. That said, there appears to be some disparity between the behaviour of the dog fox in different regions and this has led several authors to consider that dog foxes are rather disinterested fathers. Roger Burrows in his book, Wild Fox, for example, saw no evidence that the dogs paid any interest in their young and neither hunted for them nor played with them. Conversely, however, in his 1962 booklet, Henry G. Hurrell described watching a dog fox catch a rabbit and immediately take it to his family waiting on a nearby hillside, passing it to the vixen who then gave it to a cub. Similarly, MacCaskill noted how the dog fox she was watching in the Highlands of Scotland took an active role in hunting for the family; on one occasion, upon returning to the earth with a hare, the dog fox had it ‘snatched rudely’ from him by the vixen. So, for the most part, it seems that dogs do play at least some role in provisioning for the cubs, although how much physical contact they have with them is less clear. There are some reports of fathers playing with (or perhaps more accurately being played with by) the cubs, but generally it seems they spend little time with them. Indeed, the dog rarely spends any time in the earth, although Harris and his colleagues in Bristol found that, occasionally, one or even two dogs may remain in the earth with the cubs. Several observations, including those by Valeria Vergara in Canada, suggest that the main role of the dog is providing food and defending the cubs – Vergara found that males spent almost twice as long involved in ‘vigilant behaviour’ (i.e. keeping a look out for danger) as vixens. In addition, in his 1906 book, The Fox, Thomas Dale was convinced that the dog was a devoted father:

• Like 6

If there's no trouble leave alone everyone is happy kill the dog fox and you are more likely to have trouble. Kill all on ground. More will move in better the fool you know than the fool you don't. That's what hill sheep farmers would say anyway years ago and I believe there is some truth in it because more will come hunting on the dead ones territory

• Like 1

I don't think you can generalise like that FB. It depends on so many variables. Foxes are so adaptable in their family habits that what applies on a sparse upland sheep farm with a fox every five or ten miles won't apply to a heavily wooded pheasant shoot where a few fields and a big wood hold enough food and habitat for a family of six foxes.

We have such a high population in this area that I work on the basis that it probably takes a night or two at the most for neighbouring foxes to realise a territory is empty and every fox free night is a good one!

It's naive to assume that a seemingly 'friendly' fox at one end of our shoot isn't the same one causing trouble at the other.

• Like 2

If there's no trouble leave alone everyone is happy kill the dog fox and you are more likely to have trouble. Kill all on ground. More will move in better the fool you know than the fool you don't. That's what hill sheep farmers would say anyway years ago and I believe there is some truth in it because more will come hunting on the dead ones territory

when I hear of lads shooting dog foxes at this time of year I always say that the vixen will become trouble and probably turn into a live stock killer as she will become desperate to feed cubs as she will have no help from the dog now .

I often heard lads say that if you have a dog holding a territory to leave him as he will keep others out I could see how this would be true and saw it for myself ...I have a bit of ground that has 35000 free range chickens so every fox has to go ...many years ago before the ban I had a real willy fox a big dark coloured dog that i had seen many times on the lamp on the lamp but could never get a shot or a slip at him one night in November I was coming down a track lamping and there was a stubble field that had been spread with dung ...I just got a flash of eye behind a pile of dung about 150 or so out in the field I kept the lamp on it and had a spy with the binos and sure enough a fox was flapped I could just see a bit of the right hand side of his head his ears were right back and he was as low as he could get ....we have all seen them like that in the lamp if the feel safe they will just flap down .....it had a long way to go to get to any cover so the dog was slipped he got up 2 turns and job done ....this was a big old fox with one glass tooth and scars all over his snout a crakin specimen ...I was over the moon to of got him as he had given me the slip for months ....any way I shot 3 more dogs on that ground in the following week and the farmers son shot one on his lawn at 8:30 in the morning a few days later ...so there is some truth in dominant dogs keeping others off your ground but on this ground they all have to go

Edited by MIK