• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tripod. a local dog fox with one of his cubs at the earth. he was a cripple and still helped the vixen feed the cubs. along with a cub from the previous year. ive watch these foxes for generations and

I really cannot believe that you didnt know the dog is involved in the up bringing of cubs FD but you dont seem convinced ....as for the dog only being vocal during the rut I can guarentee you he will

great too see hunters respecting what they hunt and ive learnt something from this thread , think we need too be open minded about things , and its true believe what you see and sometimes if that's al

Posted Images

Being from Wales FB which is probably the sheep capital, lambing calls can go on for a considerable time. I have tiny lambs as I type now in the neighbouring fields and not a quarter mile down the road "lumpers" big lambs. I have kept sheep myself and the ram was introduced on November the 5th, different breeds lamb at different times. I do agree with you farmers do try to lamb when everything is favourable but the way the seasons are at the moment very difficult lol ATB

Nice one JD if you can find anything to give any light on this. A friend was out the other night where two foxes were woking together, the

farmer had witnessed this and also my friend but although I have been called to similar situations and dealt with the problem but have not seen it myself. I think Neil at the time of year you state although the cubs maybe are still with the vixen they would probably be fending for themselves and not reliant on the vixen. I am still in the opinion that vixens only have the one litter

You could be 100% right. Growing up if we seen small cubs in July or August we always called it a second litter. I have no proof of this and there's every chance they're just late cubs.

I have seen litters of different sizes near each other too.

JD mentioning a vixen suckling a litter reminds me of 5 or 6 years ago when a farmer lost some fowl.

I followed the vixen onto a neighbouring farm where I knew I wouldn't be welcome. He was a big hunting man.

I went back to the first farmer and told him. He rang his neighbour and asked could I go in and shift the foxes. The neighbour said he'd shoot them himself.

About a week later I was passing the neighbouring farmers place at around 4.30 in the morning and here in the paddock in front of his front door was the vixen suckling 3 cubs.

• Like 2

Neil at times like that don't you just love hunting men,I had a case last season on a call out farmer lost 7 lambs over aweek terrier marked boundery earth farmer rang hunting neighbour has we would have to dig is side not a chance.2 foxes in wires next morning funny old world.

• Like 3

Farmers down here seem to spread lambing from late winter to early summer .Im told this is so there is never a glut on the market forcing prices down .

On another note ,anybody know why i cant upload the footage from stealth cam to here .I can view it on pc but cant get it on any upload server including youtube .Nothing special just cubs chewing a wing and fighting but interesting as one of the cubs has a gammy front leg .3 days worth and only one shot of the vixen how strange .

Bit late on this thread but I did see on tv that a fox that they thought was a female from previous litter dropping food off to her (mothers) earth.when she had Cubs.

Also seen remains of piglets from outdoor pig farm outside a vixens Earth, nit something that can be left unchecked yet people still think they live on mice an rats.

I find it offensive to the fox how poor a hunter many anti's think they are ;) Every other carnivorous mammal on earth tackles prey much larger than itself so no reason why the fox should be different.

The biggest prey item I saw last year was a freshly killed muntjac fawn.

dcfcc47be403c26f1715a38c4de3ff14_zpse85b

• Like 7

Yes saw that. I shot a roe fawn clean out of a vixens mouth four years ago! Then did the same with a cock pheasant last year :D

image_zpssrqpyhce.jpeg

It turned its head 90degrees as I shot it! 3 weeks later we caught up with what we assume is the fox

e2c82642299aeb0fe31913b22d020f27_zpstkqo

Would certainly have survived but wasn't very nice for it. Always the risk when you loose off a bullet at a living creature with all the hundred of variables involved and another tick in favour of dog work.

• Like 5