• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tripod. a local dog fox with one of his cubs at the earth. he was a cripple and still helped the vixen feed the cubs. along with a cub from the previous year. ive watch these foxes for generations and

I really cannot believe that you didnt know the dog is involved in the up bringing of cubs FD but you dont seem convinced ....as for the dog only being vocal during the rut I can guarentee you he will

great too see hunters respecting what they hunt and ive learnt something from this thread , think we need too be open minded about things , and its true believe what you see and sometimes if that's al

Posted Images

I'm pretty much out of interesting ones anyway ;)

These are from across last season so some them from times of year when you digging purists would be out carrying out 'game bird protection' anyway.

The Antis all tell us that killing foxes creates a territory vacuum which causes more foxes to breed and more Cubs to survive so those of you NOT killing enough foxes are your own worst enemies perhaps ;)

I don't think my boss would be happy if a fox got in and killed 250 poults and I said "yes, I knew he was about but a few lads want a dig in Novemeber so I thought I'd leave it"

Besides- you've all read the figures I'm sure. That old fox you're saving is way more likely, statistically, to get run over than anything else ;)

• Like 2

Understand all the reasons behind vermin control, and pictures to prove a point.

But putting up pics of rifled gear will only serve to wind people up on a working terrier forum imo.

A rifle shot fox to a dogman is like a roost shot peasant to a gun.

• Like 1

There is always another fox waiting to claim the territory of the demised,I see lads on estates shooting them,lads digging them,keepers snaring them and houses trapping them but "ol Foxie" just keeps coming along, I've never seen anyone clear a place totally so don't see a problem in any sort of control when needed, nobody likes to kill cubs but if the keeper or farmer says "they have to go" then thats what happens,if you won't do it then someone else will, WM

• Like 1

That happened to me a few nights ago, a pheasant shooting syndicate asked me to take care of a litter of cubs on their shoot, I explained that my brother was very poorly in hospital and the family had been called down. Thank God he pulled through. I received a txt yesterday to say the job was now done by someone else, no asking how my brother was and a txt as they normally phone me. I am totally gutted as I knew who they had in my place, normally they would never have asked this person. You can please someone a 100 times but leave them down once and thats it. The moral of the story is when farmer's, keepers, landowners call drop everything and go cause you don't get a second chance not in this game

• Like 1

That happened to me a few nights ago, a pheasant shooting syndicate asked me to take care of a litter of cubs on their shoot, I explained that my brother was very poorly in hospital and the family had been called down. Thank God he pulled through. I received a txt yesterday to say the job was now done by someone else, no asking how my brother was and a txt as they normally phone me. I am totally gutted as I knew who they had in my place, normally they would never have asked this person. You can please someone a 100 times but leave them down once and thats it. The moral of the story is when farmer's, keepers, landowners call drop everything and go cause you don't get a second chance not in this game

If they have absolutely no respect for you then feck em I say mate.

Good to hear your brother pulled through though.

• Like 2

Cheers king much appreciated mate. I think it came at the worst time imagineable but my brother was and always will be my priority. Best of luck to them with the guy that they now have its not only charlie that he will be dealing with they will be definitely be down in their pheasant numbers in the future. Thanks again ATB

• Like 2

lads i kill more than my share of foxes from august to march but it would be against everything in to believe in to kill a fox in between... in fact every vixen after xmas is let go...an u will have fools coming on saying lambing calls etc.... i have been called to remove foxes out of season an they were removed alright but released in another area miles away where they wouldnt be a problem...farmer happy problem solved...there are ways around everything.. i would get out of the game rather than kill defenceless cubs a few wks old.... i have unbelievable admiration for the fox... what an animal they are an what sport they have given me...

• Like 1

I think we all have an admiration for "charlie" and I have a certain admiration for what you do to a degree!! Some are unable to do what you do they have a job of work which if they are unable to do competently to their guvnors wishes bye bye job. I am personally not a great believer in releasing foxes anywhere, if they were a problem where you had them they will certainly be a problem for someone else where you release them. As for cubs yes they are defenceless when young but each and every one will become ruthless killing machines when older. My house is adorned with fox related items and ornaments that is the respect I have for these animals, but reality is I will still sort the problem to the best of my ability by whatever means when required

As I say- the CA slipped up by ignoring the sport aspect of dog work whether above ground or below. Proper hunting folk have done more good for the fox than any animal rights charities ever will- especially the sickos who rehabilitate a fox in a way that makes it too tame to release so it's forced into their care for them to fawn over until it dies of old age.

But we are where we are which for me is semi-suburban lowland England (you know what I mean) crawling with public, foxes and every vermin under the sun and trying to make a bit of space for other wildlife to survive.

Cubs are little stunners who pull at the heart strings but by Christ don't they eat some grub!! Besides, a bullet at point blank range at this age is still more humane than leaving them until next year and shooting at them x00m away.

We have around 20 earths I'd say and whether or not I've destroyed every litter on the place has no bearing on whether they hold an adult fox in the winter or not.

Foxes will travel up to 7 miles a night and that tagged one on Spring Watch or whatever it was travelled about 200miles away.

So as long as there's game here in the summer, there'll be foxes here in the winter.

• Like 1

There was a estate once adjoining a farm owned by the master of a hunt the gamekeeper would rifle foxes at night and deliberately hang them on the adjoining fence by the driveway leading up to the farmhouse just to rub the masters nose in it . But the farmer master soon stopped that pretty quick he put pheasant feeders on his ground which drew hundreds of pheasants onto his ground then every other Sunday him and is two sons would go out and shoot a pile eat and give away what they could but making sure there were plenty to hang on the fence where the foxes would be hung the keeper funny enough didn't like this and made some sort of deal with the farmer master worked out they both had sport in the end. Funny things these gamekeepers they don't like you shooting the sport that they preserve

• Like 1

That's the irony of the ban isn't it. It removes that incentive for people to turn a blind eye and cover the cost of fox damage out of their own pocket for the good of the hunt. The next big revolution in fox preservation will be when people start charging for guided fox shooting (although a few people have been running foxing 'courses' for years already) I can see it happening!!

I spent a bit of time with the guys at the Great Bustard project on Salisbury Plain and I said to them, the best way to re-introduce the Bustard is to put them straight on the Game Act :D There will soon be half a million being reared and Bustard cover plots everywhere you look ;);)

• Like 1

lads i kill more than my share of foxes from august to march but it would be against everything in to believe in to kill a fox in between... in fact every vixen after xmas is let go...an u will have fools coming on saying lambing calls etc.... i have been called to remove foxes out of season an they were removed alright but released in another area miles away where they wouldnt be a problem...farmer happy problem solved...there are ways around everything.. i would get out of the game rather than kill defenceless cubs a few wks old.... i have unbelievable admiration for the fox... what an animal they are an what sport they have given me...

You really are unbelievable dumb to come on the Internet and admit that!

people like you damaging terrier work more than you think! Well done f***ing idiot

hey moron im in ireland where its all still legal.....we dont have gamekeepers an shooting estates so i cant comment on that... i have a pack of hounds an used to do alot of terrier work but not any more.... for me its about having respect for ur quarry... i dont think these heroes putting up pictures of lines of dead cubs is doing the hunting image any good

• Like 1