Live Catch , Mole Trap

Wouldnt it be illiegal to relocate it as there a pest?

i think that is just non native species such as grey squizzers and mink etc?

You could well, be right ?,....lol,.....cause 'old moleys', 'indigenous', & (for me) one of the most 'impressive', of our 'mammal fauna',......

I had a go at making a couple of live traps out of wire bird ‘peanut’ feeders with a tin one-way catflap style door on either end - a bit like the plastic live traps you see on ebay. My plan was to stake them in the mole tunnels, with the wire on the bottom pushed a little bit into the earth, and then use a bobbin on a rat snare style set up to see when the mole was caught. The bobbin would have a groove cut in it and would be hooked through the top of the wire trap under the turf. When the mole was caught he would knock the bobbin free and it would spring up on the rat snare and I’d sit quietly and wait – a bit like going fishing. So far I’ve never had a chance/reason to give them a try, but I recon they’d work.

I was going to keep this idea to myself, but I’ve just read E.T’s post on the ‘Moaning About Mole Catching, Topics’ thread where he pointed out that some people learn a lot from this forum, then they get annoyed with some self-styled wise old sages or someone pretending to be something they’re not. They then throw their toys out of the pram and bugger off without giving anything back.
Well I’m big enough to say I’m probably a bit guilty of that myself. So, if anyone’s interested, there’s my idea for a live mole trap by way of an apology.

• Like 2

I had a go at making a couple of live traps out of wire bird ‘peanut’ feeders with a tin one-way catflap style door on either end - a bit like the plastic live traps you see on ebay. My plan was to stake them in the mole tunnels, with the wire on the bottom pushed a little bit into the earth, and then use a bobbin on a rat snare style set up to see when the mole was caught. The bobbin would have a groove cut in it and would be hooked through the top of the wire trap under the turf. When the mole was caught he would knock the bobbin free and it would spring up on the rat snare and I’d sit quietly and wait – a bit like going fishing. So far I’ve never had a chance/reason to give them a try, but I recon they’d work.

I was going to keep this idea to myself, but I’ve just read E.T’s post on the ‘Moaning About Mole Catching, Topics’ thread where he pointed out that some people learn a lot from this forum, then they get annoyed with some self-styled wise old sages or someone pretending to be something they’re not. They then throw their toys out of the pram and bugger off without giving anything back.

Well I’m big enough to say I’m probably a bit guilty of that myself. So, if anyone’s interested, there’s my idea for a live mole trap by way of an apology.

Good on you,...for having a go, at making something,...

Got one with the spade this morning. Cheeky blighter was chucking earth up a few yards from where I was setting a trap so I scooped him out with the small spade. Most indignant he was. :laugh: