Foxwarren Russells

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The breeder of the 1st proper terrier that I bought valued the pup at about that price in today's money. At the time my parents were dead against having another dog in the house and even more against

I saw this stuff in the 80s absolutely spot on. Each dog matched to the earth, very talented knowledgeable man, with few to beat him on a shovel. " not my kind of dog" but hey! Results speak wonders

Find the russell thread on here,there's plenty of us that put a russell to ground mate ..

Going back early last year there was a bitch advertised on a classifieds site from fox warren lines lovley looking thing anyway i got collared into dropping my mate to leicester to fetch it as we got there this bloke and his mrs were show dogs mad started showing us printed out pedigrees for this little russell ..they had this bitch back due to a relationship breakdown and said she been worked on rabbit wich they strongly disagreed with lol you know the sort .. I think it was a 120 quid for this bitch she was docked jabbed and my mate as had a load of sport with her below ground he said best russell he has owned fell on his feet with her

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Advertised on this months edrd for 550 I think

The breeder of the 1st proper terrier that I bought valued the pup at about that price in today's money. At the time my parents were dead against having another dog in the house and even more against encouraging my interest in dogs and hunting and the types of people that I was starting to follow about. The deal was that if I could make enough money to buy a pup myself and pay for injections/feed etc they would consider it. So it was a milk round before school, delivering the free papers after school and doing jobs for me dad's mates at the allotments at weekends. Cheaper than hiring a rotavator. After about a year I had a canny wedge put away.

I then heard about two planned litters being bred by a man who had lost a valuable dog and bitch within months of each other. Valuable to his line. The sire of the lost terriers was to be put over two bitches due in season. I made myself known to this man and was told that depending on the size of the litters a pup may be available but at a price. Long story short ( already too late I know ), both bitches took and I was able to buy a pup.

The lads more local to me who I was starting to get to know that worked terriers ripped the piss out of me for paying so much for a terrier pup. The dogs they kept did work, it was a lot easier then, but cost a fraction of the price depending on the colour. In the same litter black and tan ( Lakeland ) would sell for more than predominatly white ( Russell ) and reds or brindles ( Border/Lakeland ) were cheapest. Usually £5.00 difference between colours. On the quiet though a few of these lads tried to buy my pup off me even before he was fully grown. Once he started to work, and he worked well, it became obvious that some were more than willing to spend " daft money " on a lowly digging dog.

What they didn't know though was that on the day that I took ownership of that pup the breeder gave me back almost all of the money that I had handed over. He wasn't in it for the money but placed a value on his lines that a stranger was not going to get for a song. I wont mention his name, he maybe dead now, probably is, but he kept and worked Jack Russells. There was a group of men at the time who kept the same lines across the British Isles. Fox dogs yes but it was badger work that formed them. I'm sure these lines still exist today as Jack Russells but I know that the blood runs through the Plummer Terrier, working Lakeland terrier and KC Parson Russells.

I;m not saying that the pups advertised a Foxwarren Russells are genuine and worth £550, I would think not, but when buying from strangers don't expect out for nowt.

• Like 6