Brass Question

Hi guys been sorting through some brass and noticed some marks on one or too now because I am still a novice I have been only using unmarked brass and sticking the marked ones in a tub to throw I bought the brass once fired so the marks have not come from my rifle would you say I am doing the right thing by discarding it

DDB05DB9-E727-44A7-A660-873AB62022A3_zps

others may disagree but if it looks ok inside, once its loaded and fired in your gun it will more than likely fire form to your chamber fine and the marks will be gone,the important part is the neck which to me looks good .depends really just how desperate for the cases you are ,ive reloaded worse but you must decide yourself on what to do

Hi guys been sorting through some brass and noticed some marks on one or too now because I am still a novice I have been only using unmarked brass and sticking the marked ones in a tub to throw I bought the brass once fired so the marks have not come from my rifle would you say I am doing the right thing by discarding it

DDB05DB9-E727-44A7-A660-873AB62022A3_zps

Were these the Lapua or the PPU ones Ad? It looks like a mark caused by the die if it is the Lapua. If it is the PPU then I would be more inclined to think they came from the factory like that.

Edited by Tremo

Yes lapua only got 3 like that and thought better ask to be safe rather than sorry so far it's looking like 36grn of reloader 15 with a 55 grn v max pill I now got to play with with setting depth I started at 10thou of lands and its groups under a 1p

Mmmm .... that's odd. :hmm: . I can't imagine what would have caused that line. If it was the die then I would have expected more cases to be the same.

1p piece you say?? I bet your smile was ear to ear?? :laugh: . It is a great feeling isn't it, knowing that YOU made that happen. :thumbs: . Keep up the good work mate.

You will get them tighter mate .......... I guarantee. ;) .

You'll try different powders, primers, seating depths, neck tensions ......... the list goes on! You understand what I mean now when I say that it is addictive eh? :yes::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

• Like 1

yes litteraly everything can make a difference, a shooting friend last week was working a load up and a difference of just 3 th in length of round made a difference of groups at around 7" down to 3/4" all primers have different burn rates "just like powder" and it all makes a difference to pressure and accuracy ,like tremo said its adictive and your now gripped NOW ESCAPING NOW :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: no cure available !

• Like 1

The marks on the case are more than likely caused on extraction of the spent case after firing. Provided they are not deep, they are good to go. Caused by the previous owner's rifle.

Sometimes this can be caused when slowly extracting the case from the chamber or crud coating the chamber making it tighter than SAMMI spec

Edited by dicehorn
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...