Italian Greyhounds

The one I saw was moving too much to get cold,but I dont know what it would be like say standing around waiting for ferrets to bolt a rabbit.

I think it would be shaking like a shitting dog jeemes.
  • Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of tiny. Shame about Ronnie. RIP.

Thanks for your honest answers and insight Samurai. like I said Ive only seen this one in the flesh and it made me curious. This should be the place to come to get answers and have a chat about things

jeemes, I offer a sincere apology if my comments have detracted from your topic. I did write that I have no personal experience of the breed and my comments would be only conjecture or bullshit, it wo

Posted Images

It's not the cold as much with mine it's the wind he doesn't like,as for being housetrained mine has never done anything in the house and we have female chihuahuas inside aswell but they hate the Italian , my missus makes coats for mine but he keeps getting them of while he is mooching about how the hell he managed I don't know it's a wonder he never got hung up with them,he lost 2 in two weeks but never to be found again as they were realtree camo ones ha ha, more than likely to get critiqued about him again though

• Like 1

Samuri.. Were you once on as Little Lurchers, if so i enjoyed your posts...?

Little Lurchers is a woman and she keeps Whippets, Italian Greyhounds and Grews. They all hunt and catch rabbits.

I had a Whippet Greyhound that would kill rabbits on the floor so that it could carry them back without them struggling. She was 21-22"" and 28lb. She would also tumble on the strike most outings, hitting a rabbit was like chucking an anchor out. Christ knows what it would be like with a dog less than 10lb.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but I can't see an Italian greyhound catching rabbits! Rats and squirrels maybe but I'm not believing rabbits. A healthy Male rabbit would be heavier than your average Italian grey

Whats a rabbit weigh about 3lb? What do Italian greys weigh,under 3lb?I doubt that. Ive had tiny russells catch and kill rabbits. Apart from that why should Samurai lie about it. He didnt actually make any claims about the dog catching rabbits,I asked him a direct question about it.

I'm sorry for being pessimistic towards your idea.. I'm sure that with the right nurture you'd get a decent rabbiting dog mate. hopefully we'll see plenty of pictures of what he/she gets in the future!

BBB

Speed wise yes pretty nippy mine will keep up with the lurcher but not the whippet,

Please understand this dog was bought for silly money as a pet for my wife, and I had read all the internet had to say about housetraining and the like so maybe I tried a bit harder with him . But after running dogs for 45+ years I wouldn't have even considered one for a working dog and as I said in my first post it wants to be with me when I go out so as said I let it run with the spaniel, after watching the spaniel it took to wanting to do what the workers were doing , it mainly learned itself so I just trained it a bit to be more biddable,BUT I won't be posting anything more about what this dog can do or not do to be shot down by anyone who hadn't even seen the fkn dog ! I only answered a question, so for me the conversation is over.

If anyone wanted any help with one I would gladly help but it would have to be by p.m.

• Like 1

jeemes, what answer are you hoping to get form here ? What are intending to do and hope to achieve with an Italian Greyhound ? I think you know that they are a toy breed of dog not a hunting dog ? The comments other people have made regarding the breed being delicate in regards to housing and being difficult to house train I would think stem from lack of thought on behalf of their owners. They are a toy breed that can not be expected to cope without a lot of human care.

Whippets are small coursing dogs and don't look like Italian Greyhounds, Italian Greyhounds are from that type that were bred down to look like tiny coursing dogs centuries ago. Not their fault.

If you want to get one as pup and try it as a hunting dog then you have my respect. But be well aware of it's limitations and it's needs. I'm sure on occasion one of the breed will catch a rabbit, never underestimate what dogs can do, but just make sure it doesn't suffer as a result. I've been blessed with a few terriers that " got it " when it to came rabbits but really struggled to retrieve live. These were dogs that could handle foxes no problem but we not required to retrieve foxes alive. An 18 terrier can find an healthy wild rabbit hard to deal with sometimes, without killing it, so a tiny toy breed would find it difficult even it wasn't trying to bring back alive.

Having wrote all that I should say that I've never owned an Italian Greyhound or met anyone who has so this is just conjecture/ opinion/ bull shit.

Regards

I wrote "18 terrier " I meant to write 181b terriers. My point was meant to be that they could kill a rabbit with one shake or crunch of the ribs, or whatever part of it they got in their mouths first. But they didn't kill even though they knew they could ( God knows why, they just got it and wish I could train a terrier to do it now )and would sometimes find it hard to keep hold of a rabbit. Sometimes they would use their feet and weight to just hold the rabbit and give up on moving it. That was what I was trying to illustrate about how strong a rabbit can be. I just can't see an Italian Greyhound being able to hold a rabbit even it was fast enough or game enough to trip it. I would love to be proved wrong.

Regards

• Like 1

post-59809-0-19511900-1459556612_thumb.jpg

not the best pic but this is my Italian greyhound x whippet he's 7 now and has had quite a few bunny's , he is a pet not worker , brilliant in the house but he does get very excitable when people come round , recall is not brilliant but I would have this cross again .

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I can't see an Italian greyhound catching rabbits! Rats and squirrels maybe but I'm not believing rabbits. A healthy Male rabbit would be heavier than your average Italian grey

Whats a rabbit weigh about 3lb? What do Italian greys weigh,under 3lb?I doubt that. Ive had tiny russells catch and kill rabbits. Apart from that why should Samurai lie about it. He didnt actually make any claims about the dog catching rabbits,I asked him a direct question about it.

I'm sorry for being pessimistic towards your idea.. I'm sure that with the right nurture you'd get a decent rabbiting dog mate. hopefully we'll see plenty of pictures of what he/she gets in the future!

BBB

Please read thread.. It was a question for discussion only.So not an idea. Same to east coast, thanks.

• Like 1

Speed wise yes pretty nippy mine will keep up with the lurcher but not the whippet,

Please understand this dog was bought for silly money as a pet for my wife, and I had read all the internet had to say about housetraining and the like so maybe I tried a bit harder with him . But after running dogs for 45+ years I wouldn't have even considered one for a working dog and as I said in my first post it wants to be with me when I go out so as said I let it run with the spaniel, after watching the spaniel it took to wanting to do what the workers were doing , it mainly learned itself so I just trained it a bit to be more biddable,BUT I won't be posting anything more about what this dog can do or not do to be shot down by anyone who hadn't even seen the fkn dog ! I only answered a question, so for me the conversation is over.

If anyone wanted any help with one I would gladly help but it would have to be by p.m.

Thanks for your honest answers and insight Samurai. like I said Ive only seen this one in the flesh and it made me curious. This should be the place to come to get answers and have a chat about things,and its sad that that can rarely happen. Thanks again.

• Like 3

attachicon.gif 20150104_212350.jpg

not the best pic but this is my Italian greyhound x whippet he's 7 now and has had quite a few bunny's , he is a pet not worker , brilliant in the house but he does get very excitable when people come round , recall is not brilliant but I would have this cross again .

That looks like its eaten quite a few rabbits :laugh:

Might be just the picture though.

• Like 1