Plummer Cross Bedlington Terrier

Something I always found strange was the fact that Mr Newcombe was anti badger digging but kept and bred what was possibly the biggest breed of working terrier, excluding the strong dogs.

So was he a genuine bona fide digger of foxes ?

Not speaking ill of the dead here but it's something I always wondered.

Also, wasn't Tommy Dobson better known for keeping Bedlington / Fell crosses rather than Bedlingtons. Didn't he put a chocolate Bedlington into his own line of Fells ?

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Him asking if the bitch had taken, an you half naked in a mounted position made me drop me buiscut in me tea

three quarter bred,quarter gary middleton bred Lakeland..hard but sickly bitch..

No problem Bosun.

Posted Images

sorry about hijacking thread....I use to to visit gn,,I remember him telling me that the fell/lakey side he used at one time was of john cowens stuff..something about un polluted kc stock.he use to ask me questions about above bitch,,[i think he had a brother/sister.differant litter]..how she worked to ground etc.sounder or mute..in gn eyes a true bedlington was mute..in George's eye/s them big fella's were a no go,to many good dogs lost to them..she started of noisy,,then bumpy bump..loved a nine inch drain.that photo was taken in july 2006..[i think]..she had been badly for a few days,,can't be arsed with full story,but she was put down the next day..another chapter of life gone..

I had a Cowan bred Lakie years ago Bryan, it had a top-knot and linty grey undercoat if left to grow out. You could spot the Beddy blood easy. :yes:

ther ya go then bosun. my opinion and mine only..another strange thing with these bedlingtons..is cross em with whippets..and many a time you get a better coat..genetics eh....

Something I always found strange was the fact that Mr Newcombe was anti badger digging but kept and bred what was possibly the biggest breed of working terrier, excluding the strong dogs.

So was he a genuine bona fide digger of foxes ?

Not speaking ill of the dead here but it's something I always wondered.

Also, wasn't Tommy Dobson better known for keeping Bedlington / Fell crosses rather than Bedlingtons. Didn't he put a chocolate Bedlington into his own line of Fells ?

Not all his Bedlingtons where big,its a fact that some lines of bedlington are renowned for throwing oversized mutts that are unfit for purpose,many of these unfit for purpose dogs are underground workers in many a working kennel??????,The vast majority of working bred Bedlingtons,then and now,where higher on the leg than the average terrier,as were the lakeys and fells in the not to distant past.There is a massive difference between a leggy terrier that is suited to work below and a much heavier,barrel chested,wide shouldered megapileofshit,thats incapable of entering,even if it wants to.Newcombe grew old and strayed from the path at times,if he had his time over again he may have benefited from the mistakes he made,the facts are he did more for the salvation of the Bedlington,as a working terrier,that any of his era and the vast majority of the chancers that sidled up to him and followed,often stabbing the gent in the back on their journey to bring his name into disrepute.George made mistakes,many,they were never his intention,age is a levellel.

• Like 5

Thanks Morton .I always thought he had the working instinct of his terriers at heart ,even if I didn't agree with some of the theories he said in interviews on both video and in books.

And I wont argue with the fact that the Beddy wouldn't be around as a worker without him.

Thanks Morton .I always thought he had the working instinct of his terriers at heart ,even if I didn't agree with some of the theories he said in interviews on both video and in books.

And I wont argue with the fact that the Beddy wouldn't be around as a worker without him.

There is an awful lot that George got up to that i have issue with,there is far more that i don,t,its the old Sinatra song,he did it his way and learnt a few to do it their way,sometimes with the same ambition.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...