Spaniel/ Gundog Lurchers

...it seems strange that there aren't more litters as each thread I read of these types of crosses seems to be full of praise for them. There's a thread somewhere on here that I didn't realise at the time but it's about 4 years old and there's plenty of pages and there's barely a bad word spoken...

I'm in the market if anyone's thinking about it...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics of my busy little spaniel x lurcher bitch......          

Shame about yours Tomo - sounds like it could have been handy.   Mustelid - I think fashion and heresay/word of mouth/rumour/publicity has a lot to do with it. Dogs go in and out of fashion. In the

Posted Images

Very interesting thread lads, with lots of great input.

Can really see the positives of this type of cross, and a big plus point would be there are lots of working gun dogs to choose from, with a bit of thought and time spent it could really work.

For the type of work I do, which ranges from mooching, ferreting and lamping the versatility of this type of lurcher could be just the ticket.

Only had one spaniel myself, he was manic to the extreme, I loved the dog but he drove me mad in equal measures.

Talking to Joe777 on our morning mooch with his cracking little pat x cocker, about this thread and how the more laid back nature of the running dog could temper that manic type behaviour a spaniel can show ( limited experience with spaniels as said).

Would definetly be a x I'd consider in the future.

• Like 1

Gundog crosses do seem more prone to opening up than other types. In saying that I've seen all kinds of crosses happily yipping away after quarry. Still it's something to think about for those that find such things a fault in a lurcher, and no mine didn't make a sound lol.

Really good thread, I have always thought a Labrador cross would be ideal for bit of mooching, ferreting and lamping. Just don't understand why there isn't any about. Surely these must have been tried through the years and you would think if the cross worked out they would still be popular. Could be like the England football team looks great on paper but fails where it counts.