Spaniel/ Gundog Lurchers

Now i really like this dog!! This is the type im looking to own myself sometime in the future,ive seen one at work & i liked what i seen,very obedient,busy,accurate & if there's game to be found be it fur or feather then it was getting ousted from its place of residence lol..you've a cracker there bud,enjoy

I reckon you should put the Pom with a whippet,lol

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics of my busy little spaniel x lurcher bitch......          

Shame about yours Tomo - sounds like it could have been handy.   Mustelid - I think fashion and heresay/word of mouth/rumour/publicity has a lot to do with it. Dogs go in and out of fashion. In the

Posted Images

I don't get where this " ill put her to a lurcher"..... why? The idea of crossing them to a running dog is to put the speed in them, hence why for years whippets or greyhounds have been used, with a f1 hybrid the offspring are more even and predictable, start using 3 or 4 breeds and you've got a right mongers. ..... when breeding a non sight hound type dog to produce lurchers, don't see what using a lurcher over a pure sight hound will give bar lack of pace

Guest Navek

I don't get where this " ill put her to a lurcher"..... why? The idea of crossing them to a running dog is to put the speed in them, hence why for years whippets or greyhounds have been used, with a f1 hybrid the offspring are more even and predictable, start using 3 or 4 breeds and you've got a right mongers. ..... when breeding a non sight hound type dog to produce lurchers, don't see what using a lurcher over a pure sight hound will give bar lack of pace

didnt you say you were after. 3/4 collie 1/4 grey ??? What's the use in that surley your adding grey for speed ? Well why not a half cross ?? Surely they would be a monger aswell if it is a 3/4 collie

As those who know me know, I'm a moucher/one for the pot kind of man rather than a big bag man.... but my first cross would still be using pure grey, not a lurcher, which was what I said, whatever way you chose to got with that first cross is any man's business

Mustelid..... I haven't lamped her, but she would definitely catch, she's fairly quick and agile, but can't as expected turn as sharply as my other whippety bitch. I reckon she would get most of her catches along the hedgerow, or striking sitters.

I by no means think she would be the best dog for lamping, but she would catch.

She's an odd little dog,,,, she likes to stalk and round up/ circle my other little lurcher before chasing her. To say she's less than half sight hound I'm lucky how quick she is.

I wanted a lurcher with springer in its breeding for the fact I was fed up of seeing people out with there pet springers that were hunting harder and more enthuiastically than my lurchers were on the ground I hunted. Due to not having much to go at around me I needed a dog that naturally hunted for a scent. I've had too many dogs that want to play with a stick or something when there's not much going on, her idea of playing is seeking and catching game.

The other thing is her obedience,,,, she responds super quick to whistles etc. She has that typical sitting upright with chest out just like a spaniel.

She sounds very much like my bitch Wuyang, mines more of a fast busher than a lurcher at 16" tts, but that's what i wanted, she does catch a bit, but that's not really her job.........Hard to fault mine for what i want really, never stops hunting, works cover pretty well, obedient and very easy bitch to get along with, good round the house and grandkids, after having her my next proper runner will be spaniel based. Most of the runners iv'e had, if not all, had collie from half, to just a dash, i don't see why you couldn't get a similar dog using spaniel blood? And i know this probably wont go down to well with collie x fans, but every one iv'e had was slightly quirky, the one iv'e got now is strange, but does his job, i don't think you'd get that with spaniel? mine doesn't play mind games with you, very level headed little thing.

• Like 2

years ago , was talking to a bloke who had a 1x curly coated retriever x grey. he said it was big strong black dog, that took fox, deer, no prob, and very good guard dog, this was in 82. keepers used to work c/c years back for picking up etc , and night work as c/c were supposed to be more sharp than most gun breeds. dont think they work them today, as labs and springers are the main dog today, and most keepers use gsd or mal, for night work. but in there day c/c were good dogs, now there just show dogs, like most breeds today .!!

There are racy labs of all colours if you find the right lines. On the shoot where I go beating a couple of the pickers up are keen trialling guys and their labs are lean and fast. They can also do a fair amount of work. Some of these dogs will be worked three to six days a week during the season and they keep on going!

It's the same with spaniels... A friend has a racy Field Trial Winning dog that he works three days a week. This dog is as fit as they come and the work a decent spaniel gets through, smashing cover etc is at a fast pace so they need to have sufficient stamina.

I've worked two pure collies and a couple of half cross collies, only 50% of them had the hunting drive I needed the others would find something else to do if there wasn't much scent about.......used to drive bloody me mad.

For what I do now I won't take the chance with another collie cross. Gundog breed lurchers all the way for me for day time walk about hunting. Like I've said before lady near me with two English setters, not from working strains, but by Christ you want to see them things hunt jump and cover ground......really grafting. In my opinion gundogs have so much to offer lurchers for daytime hunting.

• Like 2

years ago , was talking to a bloke who had a 1x curly coated retriever x grey. he said it was big strong black dog, that took fox, deer, no prob, and very good guard dog, this was in 82. keepers used to work c/c years back for picking up etc , and night work as c/c were supposed to be more sharp than most gun breeds. dont think they work them today, as labs and springers are the main dog today, and most keepers use gsd or mal, for night work. but in there day c/c were good dogs, now there just show dogs, like most breeds today .!!

anybody heard of this x before ? as said these were old type lurcherx back then .

Mustelid..... I haven't lamped her, but she would definitely catch, she's fairly quick and agile, but can't as expected turn as sharply as my other whippety bitch. I reckon she would get most of her catches along the hedgerow, or striking sitters.

She's an odd little dog,,,, she likes to stalk and round up/ circle my other little lurcher before chasing her. To say she's less than half sight hound I'm lucky how quick she is.

I wanted a lurcher with springer in its breeding for the fact I was fed up of seeing people out with there pet springers that were hunting harder and more enthuiastically than my lurchers were on the ground I hunted. Due to not having much to go at around me I needed a dog that naturally hunted for a scent. I've had too many dogs that want to play with a stick or something when there's not much going on, her idea of playing is seeking and catching game.

The other thing is her obedience,,,, she responds super quick to whistles etc. She has that typical sitting upright with chest out just like a spaniel.

She sounds very much like my bitch Wuyang, mines more of a fast busher than a lurcher at 16" tts, but that's what i wanted, she does catch a bit, but that's not really her job.........Hard to fault mine for what i want really, never stops hunting, works cover pretty well, obedient and very easy bitch to get along with, good round the house and grandkids, after having her my next proper runner will be spaniel based. Most of the runners iv'e had, if not all, had collie from half, to just a dash, i don't see why you couldn't get a similar dog using spaniel blood? And i know this probably wont go down to well with collie x fans, but every one iv'e had was slightly quirky, the one iv'e got now is strange, but does his job, i don't think you'd get that with spaniel? mine doesn't play mind games with you, very level headed little thing.

Truther - how much spaniel are you thinking of?

anybody heard of this x before ? as said these were old type lurcherx back then .

I've never heard of the cross, but can't see why it wouldn't perform as you say. Shame the working ones have gone the way of the dodo. I always thought they were handsome dogs.

Truther - how much spaniel are you thinking of?

A 1/4 spaniel would produce dogs fast enough, but hopefully keep some of the spaniel traits, the two half x bitches we have are about as fast as a rabbit, they gain a bit on a rabbit in the open if its a decent distance, put a whippet or small non ped over one and the pups would be fast enough, both bitches are very agile, turn on a tanner types.

TBH my lads thinking about using the original spaniel bitch to produce another litter of half x's, but using a bigger dog, a well tested grew owned by his mate, if they made 21/22 they'd be handy dogs, if my lurcher was a bit older i wouldn't hesitate, and i want to breed a litter out of my bitch and keep one, only so much room/time unfortunatly. One way or another we'll breed 3/4's eventually, got to try it after seeing the potential.

• Like 2