Keeping Rifles When Treating Anxiety?

Just wondering if anyone on here thats holds an fac or shotgun certificate has or has had anxiety and did any medication effect your renewal?

I have reached a point where I think I need a chat with a doctor but worried I'll have my tickets revoked

Thanks lads

What stage are you at with your certificate how long they got to run ?. if it was me I would just leave them for the remainder of your certificates up to five years , sort your self out then get back into it

I knew a lad that got treated for anxiety and he still got his certificate if your are been treated for anything they will contact your doctor and ask him if your a responding well to treatment you need to have a chat with your gp about it and get sorted your health comes first

Ok I see where you're coming from but its taken years to get where I am

To get all the land then my dogs and move from spud gun to a 223 and the reloading gear

And I must add a great shooting buddy I can rely on

So I would be devastated to loose all this just from trying to be more laid back

Shooting or should I say hunting is my life

But i am in no way not listening to what your saying and I really appreciate your comments

Thanks again

• Like 1

Pure Anxiety isn't a bar to holding a certificate.

If it's pure anxiety, you need to be very careful with what your GP records as many record anxiety as "anxiety and depression" as the two often go together, thereby mis-recording for pure anxiety. So always ask the doctor what he's written at the end of the consultation as it's impossible to change later.

You need to consult the BASC about declaring your condition as getting it wrong could result in prosecution.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 3

Don't quote me, but I'm sure that I've read somewhere that roughly 20+% of the UK's adult population suffer from anxiety in one form or another. Gone are the days of this being a taboo subject. It is a recognised condition and through medication and other forms of treatment (counselling, cognitive therapy etc.) it can be controlled just like any other affliction. Bodies such as the police have to recognise this fact.

I would definitely have a chat with your GP as soon as possible and get the help that you need. One thing that you can be sure of is that the anxiety is not going to go away on its own accord. Your words "I have reached a point ..." is testament to this fact. The fact that you have recognised the problem and that you are seeking help will go a big way with the police. As Adam said in his previous post, they will check with your GP on how you are responding to your treatment, and if the GP sees any reason why you should not be granted your renewal.

All the very best.

Paul

Be careful about this lads as Firearms dept's are now contacting your doctor as a matter of course.

I had cause to ask my doctor for a copy of my medical history earlier this year and was shocked to find that last October he had received letters from Stafford/West Midlands asking for information.

I have also read on another forum that someone had their ticket revoked because they drank two pints of beer every night, which apparently well exceeds the government's guidelines of 14 units a week...........how true this is, I don't know, but it makes one think.

So, if it is true, taking medication for depression etc could well be a problem........................................

G

• Like 1

So, if it is true, taking medication for depression etc could well be a problem........................................

G

Which is nuts, go to the doctor for depression and be in danger of losing you cert and probably lead to more depression or don't go and get treatment because you could lose the cert............

not 100% sure on this but i think its this month or next the doctor has to inform firearms dept ,of" any" mental health issues .thats at any time! not just on re newel.or first grant .i think aswell any heart problems ..

not 100% sure on this but i think its this month or next the doctor has to inform firearms dept ,of" any" mental health issues .thats at any time! not just on re newel.or first grant .i think aswell any heart problems ..

It's already started about heart problems as one of the shooters at my club was asked about this at his renewal interview

Which is nuts, go to the doctor for depression and be in danger of losing you cert and probably lead to more depression or don't go and get treatment because you could lose the cert..........

Couldn't agree more, but since when did common-sense prevail where shooting is concerned.

On the last page of your renewal form it actually asks if you are disabled............go figure why they are asking that question.

G

Deal with the anxiety first then worry about the rest...

Exactly mate...and the chance's are you won't worry about the rest.. because the anxiety has gone!

An ex partner of mine and an old mate both had bouts of it 5+ years ago now..

Bump into them occasionally and what totally different people they are now to what they were then.. proper happy laid back people now without a worry in this world. They were on tablets 3-6 months..weren't shotgun or fac holder's though.

Atb steg