Thanks terryd you're dog looks like a lovely one :-)

Took him out yesterday on a park near ours with lots of distractions (just to get him out) he tried to pull on the lead to get to them but with a few light tugs back he walked by my side although i didn't feel confident enough to let him off! I think he thinks when we let him off "see you later". Nightmare. People have advised us to go to training classes but he is so disobedient we just don't know what to do! I hope we haven't ruined him.

Also worked him last night, he had a really good chase and nearly caught a rabbit just stumbled at the last minute.

IMG 1454

IMG 1697

Edited by Aritch

How would you get him around the ferrets safely? We have let them in the garden together and he tries to kill them. He has gone for one and mauled one so we haven't let him out with them since. I think the ferrets are also wary of him as they hiss at him! He's a bugger!!!

How would you get him around the ferrets safely? We have let them in the garden together and he tries to kill them. He has gone for one and mauled one so we haven't let him out with them since. I think the ferrets are also wary of him as they hiss at him! He's a bugger!!!

First thing I would do is stop working him till you've got him listening to you. Keep him on the lead when you're out. Practice recall at home and then move I to the garden when that's all good take him into a lane or a path and try him.

When I broke one of my older terriers to the ferrets the dog was kept on a tight lead and let the ferret wander around in the garden, when the dog showed interest in it she had a tug on the lead and told to leave, kept doing it over and over till she showed no interest. Takes time but can be done

Atb

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

you need to get him around ferrets more safely there is no room for confusion ferrets are a no and rabbits I am sure he doesn't need encouraging anyway.

You can practice recall lots in the house on a lead any where and when out and about recall when you know he will come. Don't waste your time calling if his blasting off to see another dog you need to get it on a lead before that happens. Don't ever call him if you know his not going to come like when his heads down on a scent. Don't let him do what he wants. Not that I have a clue really just stuff I have picked up and been taught with mine. Mine would walk all over me if he could :laugh:

25937383085_1284d54b3c_c.jpg

He is so cute