Long Net Pole

Hiya lads I need some help I have bought a long net but I'm looking for some poles. Can any one direct me or give me some advice were to get some and what the best material is. I mean hardwood traditional poles or some fibre glass ones I'm abit new to this so could do with the help thanks

I like grp 10mm with grommets.

I was out yesterday with a guy, hes just made his first 2 stopnets 15yds and had purchased 150 grp tent poles for £30 from ebay, a bit short really so hes cut 30 of them down into 1/4's rejoined them with gluing and spotting the ferrules to end up with 120 poles that are spot on for the job at a very good price

Y.I.S Leeview

I had some nets in last week for repair, they had 13mm GRP poles on them. I have never been a fan of pre-set nets, but these poles took some strain without bending. I set one net out as the poles impressed me, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how well they stood up to the side strain of pulling the top line tight, I was able to get a tension in the net that I have never seen with 10mm poles without having guy ropes at the ends of the nets.

TC

• Like 1

I had some nets in last week for repair, they had 13mm GRP poles on them. I have never been a fan of pre-set nets, but these poles took some strain without bending. I set one net out as the poles impressed me, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how well they stood up to the side strain of pulling the top line tight, I was able to get a tension in the net that I have never seen with 10mm poles without having guy ropes at the ends of the nets.

TC

I would agree they would be very ridged. 10mm is fine for me though, lighter, easier to push in the ground and you say a couple of bits of running line with pegs on (or purse nets) will soon tighten the top line if required.

How has he rejoined them.

basically he took the bottom ferrule off and glued it back on leaving 1/2 the original depth this allowed him to insert the 1/4 off cuts into it, he mentiond punching them? and cut a bevel on the bottom to go into the ground, hes an agricultural machinery builder/fitter so I just nodded when he explained

Y.I.S Leeview

Those stop nets on that add are long for 2 poles, 10yd net on 2 poles, his poles only 900mm, gonna be a bit of droop on the top line, would need a peg either end for me especially on rough ground. I make my stop nets 6yds sometimes 5yds. Not saying this is right but best for me. Thanks for the reply Leeview. ATB.

• Like 2