Which .17Hmr Ammo To Start With?

FoxtrotOscar - can I ask how you dispose of the dud if you don't shoot them? genuine question as I'm getting 17hmr soon and will be checking all the ammo I buy after hearing some horror stories like the ones in this thread!

Do your return them to your RFD for disposal? or there there some easy way to render them safe without having to fire them?

Cheers

Don't worry about disposing of them....pull bullet out with pliers then just chuck in the bin

I shoot hundreds of HMR rounds.....i don't check the rounds as the few problem rounds I had came from old stock

I still get plenty of split fires case

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys I'll try the 17gr Hornady V Max for starters.

I had lots of problems with splitting cases with the Winchesters. Stick with Hornady.

Thats the difference between hitting a fox between the eyes or shooting it in the jaw which is why I said ages ago I'll never use hmr for charlie again

Posted Images

FoxtrotOscar - can I ask how you dispose of the dud if you don't shoot them? genuine question as I'm getting 17hmr soon and will be checking all the ammo I buy after hearing some horror stories like the ones in this thread!

Do your return them to your RFD for disposal? or there there some easy way to render them safe without having to fire them?

Cheers

Don't worry about disposing of them....pull bullet out with pliers then just chuck in the bin

I shoot hundreds of HMR rounds.....i don't check the rounds as the few problem rounds I had came from old stock

I'm not entirely easy with that, would you chuck a handful of primed centrefire cases in the bin?

If you have pulled the bullet why not simply fire the empty HMR case?

Cheers

I'm not entirely easy with that, would you chuck a handful of primed centrefire cases in the bin?

I don't get handfuls just the odd one once in a blue moon....pulled bullet tipped out powder and just crushed the case shut then bin it

Centre fires I wouldn't as I would reload them

Cheers

I don't get handfuls just the odd one once in a blue moon....pulled bullet tipped out powder and just crushed the case shut then bin it

I think you may have misunderstood my point, I said " would you chuck a handful of primed centrefire cases in the bin"

Even after you empty the propellant and crush the case (why would you crush the case?), the case is still primed and heading off to landfill somewhere no doubt.

Why not simply fire the empty/primed HMR case and render it as safe as possible?

:thumbs:

Cheers

I think you may have misunderstood my point, I said " would you chuck a handful of primed centrefire cases in the bin"

Even after you empty the propellant and crush the case (why would you crush the case?), the case is still primed and heading off to landfill somewhere no doubt.

Why not simply fire the empty/primed HMR case and render it as safe as possible?

I wouldnt fire the empty case as I don't want the chance of having a non ejected shell and having to mess around trying to pick out the brass case

The chances of one crushed empty rimfire shell causing a problem at a landfill is like worrying about throwing a battery in the bin

Cheers

The last lot I took back to the RFD and he exchanged me a couple of boxes FOC. Those I have from the new boxes I'll not take back as it's a bit unfair on him as he gave me them. I'll just use them up one day when I'm plinking. Some will fire okay but it's those that are squib rounds I need to watch for. The last one "fortunately" got stuck a cm up the barrel which stopped me cycling another round. Had it stopped another cm I'd have not realised and had a real problem, possibly damaging the rifle or even myself! If I was just plinking I'd have the necessary kit with me to hand to clear any stuck rounds.

Cheers

I wouldnt fire the empty case as I don't want the chance of having a non ejected shell and having to mess around trying to pick out the brass case

The chances of one crushed empty rimfire shell causing a problem at a landfill is like worrying about throwing a battery in the bin

I'm getting the feeling we are simply going to have a different view here.

Just why is a shot, empty HMR case, simply with primer in the rim, likely to stick in the gun? Even if it did the slightest tap with a rod would drop it out easily. And however unlikely a primed case on a tip would be to cause an issue, it would be much more likely than a fired and empty one. And I'm still curious why you crush the case after removing the bullet and propellant but leaving the primer in!

And the world is full of advice NOT to throw you batteries in the bin but dispose of them appropriately!

ATB! :thumbs:

Cheers

I'm getting the feeling we are simply going to have a different view here.

Just why is a shot, empty HMR case, simply with primer in the rim, likely to stick in the gun? Even if it did the slightest tap with a rod would drop it out easily. And however unlikely a primed case on a tip would be to cause an issue, it would be much more likely than a fired and empty one. And I'm still curious why you crush the case after removing the bullet and propellant but leaving the primer in!

And the world is full of advice NOT to throw you batteries in the bin but dispose of them appropriately!

ATB! :thumbs:

oooh handbags lol
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...