Which .17Hmr Ammo To Start With?

What is generally a good place to start with .17hmr ammunition? I'll be owning a CZ 455 and would appreciate recommendations on what tends to produce accurate and reliable results. With air rifles a good place to start is JSB domed pellets which tend to work well in most guns.

Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys I'll try the 17gr Hornady V Max for starters.

I had lots of problems with splitting cases with the Winchesters. Stick with Hornady.

Thats the difference between hitting a fox between the eyes or shooting it in the jaw which is why I said ages ago I'll never use hmr for charlie again

Posted Images

I just buy whatever the shop has.....its supposed to be all made in the same factory

I had some boxes of Winchester and Remington that were bought at the same time a few years ago. I started to use them recently..........every few rounds there would be the click of the firing pin then a split second delay before the round went of

More recent rounds bought I've never had a problem....i put it down to batches made not the name on box

I've only ever used hornady 17grain v max. These have been superb!

I'd be inclined To try what you can get a good supply of locally.

Liam

Same here, was planning on trying out other brands but this seems the only one close to me though I did get a box of Winchesters last week to try out.

There's really only one choice that's bullet weight, it is said all 17 ammo is made in the same facility (I wouldn't doubt that, but who knows).

Anyway from my experience most gunshops have got only whatever it is they have got, so a choice of Remington or Hornady even is not

available.

Just get a few boxes of 17 gr and one of the 20gr, and give them a go.

I still have odd bits but use 17g V-Max types exclusively now, and have done for ages.

As far as I'm aware at the moment, CCI makes all the HMR except for Winchester, that's what CCI told me a while back.

:thumbs:

I believe all .17hmr is made by cci with the exception of Winchester, that said when my CZ455 was new it definitely shot better with the vmax, the groups with them were really tight the others were genuinely bigger, now the guns run in everything seems accurate through it.

I was told Winchester were also made by CCI.....Certainly in the early days of the round If this is still the case ???

But all makes have had the same neck splits...I have read of stories of exploding barrels with Hornady/Remmington/winchester

here is a spread sheet someone made a few years back for HMR owners to fill in didnt last long though

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mf7wgpD2X6I-dAcF6-GVbSygGU1G7PyMu62rNaqSaGM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

I was told Winchester were also made by CCI.....Certainly in the early days of the round If this is still the case ???

But all makes have had the same neck splits...I have read of stories of exploding barrels with Hornady/Remmington/winchester

here is a spread sheet someone made a few years back for HMR owners to fill in didnt last long though

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mf7wgpD2X6I-dAcF6-GVbSygGU1G7PyMu62rNaqSaGM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

This was my reply from CCI when I asked them if they made all the HMR!

> From: cciexpert@ATK.com

> To:

> Subject: RE: CCI Ammo - Ask the Expert Form

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:37:40 +0000

>

> Deker, we don't make Winchester 17HMR ammunition and there may others.

>

>

>

>

>

> Make Every Shot Count!

> Justin M.

> CCI/Speer

> 2299 Snake River Ave

> Lewiston, ID. 83501

:thumbs:

I had lots of problems with splitting cases with the Winchesters. Stick with Hornady. :thumbs:

Well, I have had many more with Hornady.

This goes round and round and as I have said many times should be pinned.

ALL HMR ammo "makes" are effected, there may be odd batch situations where some may be better or worse, but there is NO CURE for splitting cases with todays technology, end of.

I had lots of problems with splitting cases with the Winchesters. Stick with Hornady. :thumbs:

Well, I have had many more with Hornady.

This goes round and round and as I have said many times should be pinned.

ALL HMR ammo "makes" are effected, there may be odd batch situations where some may be better or worse, but there is NO CURE for splitting cases with todays technology, end of.

That's why my HMR had to go. Hornady, Winchester, Remington or ......... even Disney (if they made them :laugh:). I just never liked the feeling of "I hope this one will be OK." when I pulled the trigger. ;) .

I've had split cases and slow fires with all makes, although I've had two stuck in the barrel with Remmingtons. I sort through each new box for hairline cracks, usually finding two, or three and still get slow fires.