we need our flat roof replacing very soon and due to how exposed to the weather we are, we would like to go to fiberglass if we can ! anyone have any idea what sort of costs are we looking at per meter? i know it varies area to area but looking for some sort of idea if we can afford to go to fiberglass or need to stay with felt the roof is 37m sq pessumably it would need re boarding first to get the adhesion for the resin so all in guides would be good ,its a nice oblong area with no flues etc sw scotland

If you watch the clip on youtube mate you may feel up to doing it yourelf ,not hard .Roofers job usually .There are quite a few systems on the market now bar refelting which needs replacing every 8 years or so .I think any new system will require a strip back though and possible new boards ,something any DIY capable man can do .Dont use the cheap OSB board though ,use shutter ply in 18 mm,harris rail around edges except the gap for run off to a gutter system .Should be a fall of no less than 20mm in 3m ,created by use of furring strips[50mm to nothing ,3.6 long ] .Most new systems are roller on ,two applications so easy really .Just a matter of locating the right product at right price .Ill find brochure tomorrow .

• Like 1

We have prepared plenty of roofs for a fibre glass guy . Generally we get the job . Sure up the roof , do the furring strips and boarding ready for him to come in and fibre glass . He tells us to use OSB boards as he gets better adhesion to them than ply . All wood materials are taken care of in our quote so he's not skimming any money by charging for ply and paying for OSB . What we've started doing is along the gutter edge and any area that has run off if take a router to the edge 3 or 4" in (depending on size of their edging) about 2 MM deep so that the edgings sit into it . What we found before was when they put the strips on the board and then fibreglassed was that a pool of water sat just behind the edging . Only small but if any Windows overlooked it people Moaned about the pool of water .

From what I've seen of the fibreglassers working it is exceptionally easy to do and doesn't require much activity . Only thing their wary of is a shower of rain which they claim ruins it .

If u can get someone to do the wood side of it is be inclined to do the fibreglass yourself . I'm not sure of exact price as that's not my department but most roofs we have done have been 800-1200 and they weren't big . Just extension kitchens etc .

Wear masks tho cos it stinks like f**k

• Like 2

We have prepared plenty of roofs for a fibre glass guy . Generally we get the job . Sure up the roof , do the furring strips and boarding ready for him to come in and fibre glass . He tells us to use OSB boards as he gets better adhesion to them than ply . All wood materials are taken care of in our quote so he's not skimming any money by charging for ply and paying for OSB . What we've started doing is along the gutter edge and any area that has run off if take a router to the edge 3 or 4" in (depending on size of their edging) about 2 MM deep so that the edgings sit into it . What we found before was when they put the strips on the board and then fibreglassed was that a pool of water sat just behind the edging . Only small but if any Windows overlooked it people Moaned about the pool of water .

From what I've seen of the fibreglassers working it is exceptionally easy to do and doesn't require much activity . Only thing their wary of is a shower of rain which they claim ruins it .

If u can get someone to do the wood side of it is be inclined to do the fibreglass yourself . I'm not sure of exact price as that's not my department but most roofs we have done have been 800-1200 and they weren't big . Just extension kitchens etc .

Not trying to outdo you mate but ive repaired many fibreglass roofs over the years ,cracked by the sun .There is no expansion property to fibreglass at all and from what ive seen it crazes then leaks after a few years .There are new products on the market now more suited to expansion contraction as found on an exposed roof .The price for any of this covering will be by the m2 so shop about .

welsh red spot on with all what your saying and god tip re the edging strips! the actual fiberglassing is as you say easy to do as long as temperature and being dry is right ! ive messed with boats for a long time and the fibreglassing doesnt fase me but im screwed up with arthritis ,this is just an extension here about 37m2 its just not getting ripped off with current prices im concerned about 1 guy who verbally quoted was ESTIMATING around £100 a meter which to me is WAY over but i could just be out of touch with current prices ! but if it is that then we need to have a rethink on which way we go ! fd's posts have provoked a bit of thought re ruberoid ,same idea as firberglass but may be easier applied by other trades

There is no expansion property to fibreglass at all and from what ive seen it crazes then leaks after a few years .There are new products on the market now more suited to expansion contraction as found on an exposed roof .The price for any of this covering will be by the m2 so shop about .

this is my worry fd the roof is exposed to all the weather including the sun for most of the day and some expansion would "i think "be of major advantage

Not trying to outdo you mate but ive repaired many fibreglass roofs over the years ,cracked by the sun .There is no expansion property to fibreglass at all and from what ive seen it crazes then leaks after a few years .There are new products on the market now more suited to expansion contraction as found on an exposed roof .The price for any of this covering will be by the m2 so shop about .

You may be right , I'm no expert on fibre glass just done roofs ready for them . The bloke gave a 10 year warranty so I'm assuming he knew his stuff . I have seen the rubber stuff and as far as expansion contraction etc it is above and beyond fibreglass . We have had to take 1 rubber roof off before because the bloke said he dropped something sharp on it and pierced it and water got thru and ruined the wood underneath . Might have been a old style rubber tho . The first fibre glass roof we did with this bloke was 7 or 8 years ago and it still looks and works good today . Not knocking your knowledge ( u probably know more than me ) just giving the benefit of what I know