• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the finished article...... But she lives!!!!

Bit late but made this with the boys.    

Started a smoker for my dad yesterday

Posted Images

Nice one ant. Is one of them going on the boat lol?

building a smoker for the fishing forays mate ;) should be a good summer!

You'll be able to smoke it as soon as you manage to catch one. How do you safetly get the cans open? I have an old calor gas can in my barn. I might give one ago if i dont blow myself up trying.

Make sure it's empty! Lol then get a hammer and a bit of bar and just keep knocking the valve anti clockwise till it unscrews, then turn it upside down (gas is heavier than air) for a few hours, then I turn it right way round and fill it with water to force any air/gas out and leave it full for a day or 2, then empty and cut mate. They still smell tho so go in gently lol I've not blown up yet but I've only done 2 and that's how I did them. Heliums fine tho, and there in ideal camping size ;)

• Like 1

My new plasma cutter arrived the other day and my god! What a toy! Lol I don't no how I got anything done with just a grinder lol got a few more bottles sat full of water so the next ones gonna be a desegnated smoker ;) also those little helium bottles you can get for blowing up balloons kick out some heat!

I got one of them cheep plasma cutters off ebay a few years back and worth every penny and more! Watch it when you sink it into a gas bottle though, washed the one in the pic out with hot soapy water and let it soak, hosed it out and it still went with a thump when i made the first cut.

• Like 1

My new plasma cutter arrived the other day and my god! What a toy! Lol I don't no how I got anything done with just a grinder lol got a few more bottles sat full of water so the next ones gonna be a desegnated smoker ;) also those little helium bottles you can get for blowing up balloons kick out some heat!

I got one of them cheep plasma cutters off ebay a few years back and worth every penny and more! Watch it when you sink it into a gas bottle though, washed the one in the pic out with hot soapy water and let it soak, hosed it out and it still went with a thump when i made the first cut.

the plasma is a real toy I must admit lol think I'll still go in quietly with the grinder first before I let rip with the plasma. I got mine from a company called " r-tech welding " and it's spot on! I got a new portable stick welder to, and it knocks the socks of the aldi one I had before! (Not surprising really lol )

the plasma is a real toy I must admit lol think I'll still go in quietly with the grinder first before I let rip with the plasma. I got mine from a company called " r-tech welding " and it's spot on! I got a new portable stick welder to, and it knocks the socks of the aldi one I had before! (Not surprising really lol )
have you ever done any TIG griff? I believe you can turn an MMA in to a TIG with the right torch?

Atb ant

have you ever done any TIG griff? I believe you can turn an MMA in to a TIG with the right torch?

Atb ant

No never done tig, don't think my plasma cutter is compatible, like some of the multi machines. Been looking for an excuse to buy one but not found a reason to justify it as i have a decent 170A mig which will do most things with a 1mm to 6mm range. Miller STH 160 is the one i would like but comes at a price, might treat myself if i sell enough re-conditioned power tools on fleabay.

Stick with stick ant unless you're looking to do thin sheet or thin stainless. You could always get some stainless rods and you don't have to worry about gas and feeding wire etc. If you've bought a plasma be worth trying to do some weather vane type pictures out of steel sheet! Atb Joe

didnt realise you could get stainless rods? Nice one joe. I was thinking of trying a dragons head to go at the top of the chimney so when flames shoot out the top it looks like it's breathing fire! Lol but I'm shite at drawing so will need to get our las to draw me a stencil ;)
  • Like 1

Looks smart, I started a smoker....about 5 year ago from an old compressor tank, it was coming along nicely, must get some enthusiasm back next time I get a spare minute

I would love a plasma cutter, how much you boys spending on them as when I last looked they were silly money for a good one.

Looks smart, I started a smoker....about 5 year ago from an old compressor tank, it was coming along nicely, must get some enthusiasm back next time I get a spare minute

I would love a plasma cutter, how much you boys spending on them as when I last looked they were silly money for a good one.

Got lucky with a bid and paid £160 on ebay for a new one from Germany. Cuts up to 12mm steel but very slow at that thickness cuts sheet metal like the proverbial hot knife through butter and anything up to 6mm without hesitation. Just make a template from 3-4mm hardboard clamp it to the steel and follow it with the edge of the torch, can make multiple items off the same template.

Got lucky with a bid and paid £160 on ebay for a new one from Germany. Cuts up to 12mm steel but very slow at that thickness cuts sheet metal like the proverbial hot knife through butter and anything up to 6mm without hesitation. Just make a template from 3-4mm hardboard clamp it to the steel and follow it with the edge of the torch, can make multiple items off the same template.
i got this http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/plasma-cutter-r-tech-p30c/

and a new decent stick welder for £200 deposit and £39 a month for 12 months which I thought was ok. One less night in the pub and one more playing in my garage lol makes no odds to me ;)