Non-Ped Whipets...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.thebwra.co.uk/cgi-bin/breeding.pl?op=breeding&index=6188&gens=5&db=bwra.dbw   This one of my late fathers was decent, used to come in season every 6 months which kind of bugge

Will Hay,Blue Peter and country music

My lurcher, sired by big land boy, dam was collie hybrid, maybe some beddy?       Hes pretty fast over a short distance, but lacks real stamina, gives it 100% though, can't complain.

Posted Images

Is it just whippet and greyhound that is getting them there or are there other breeds that are being put in the mix to go farther than the pedigreed race dogs?

I more curious about other breeds that might be used. That's where the "magic" might come in. I'm just guessing here but it's rather well known in the US that slipping a little of the right greyhound gets a faster dog but I'm seeing some other traits that have me scratching my head. They lead me to believe that there is another secret ingredient that is making the non-peds screaming fast...that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not a race guy, I'm only a hunter, but I would like to take every advantage I can get when I put together a lurcher. I'm not afraid of spending several years putting the sighthound side of a cross together if I can find some advantage in it. I like collies for the other side but I like the speed in the final product. ;)

Edited by Dan McDonough

back in the 80s country music was one of my favourite dogs, a big strong brindle dog, he went into quite a few lurcher lines and whippet lines he was at stud for a few years , be interested to hear if anyone has anything down from him now,

img005.jpg

http://www.thebwra.co.uk/cgi-bin/breeding.pl?op=breeding&index=6188&gens=5&db=bwra.dbw

This one of my late fathers was decent, used to come in season every 6 months which kind of buggered it up. Was lined with a few decent dogs, best 2 it probably bred were owned by my father. These are them, litter sisters, breeding for them below,

http://www.thebwra.co.uk/cgi-bin/geneal.pl?gens=5&pattern=mad%20rush&db=bwra.dbw&op=search

Fawn one Mad Rush, other one Desert Storm

img0012.jpg

He had a few other decent one's but these 3 probably the best.

The last litter had a bitch in called Rush for Gold, my father kept if back, a yard short of open class, he gave it to a man for ferreting, although i never saw it the man said it turned out a cracker, sharp as a tack.

• Like 5

back in the 80s country music was one of my favourite dogs, a big strong brindle dog, he went into quite a few lurcher lines and whippet lines he was at stud for a few years , be interested to hear if anyone has anything down from him now,

Hi Cocker,...yes, Rch Country Music played a part in the breeding of many modern lines of Hard Blood racing whippets...I was the first to use him at Stud...

Nice dog, nice owner,...great days... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

Just been looking at the Country Music dog in a 1986 Spotlight On Racing mag, he is described as red brindle and 30lb in weight, and retired due to a recurring toe injury, my old mate owned a 24lb Champion dog called Manpower at that time, and said he produced some good gamebird catching dogs for the lurcher lads, always been interested in these little flying machines, but the thought of going back to lame dogs, and jumped toes (or worse) has always put me off going any further than admiring these types, though my sister, and her partner have recently took on a nice little brindle whippet, and I've had her out with my dogs everyday this week, and what a pleasure she is, conditioning up very quickly over the last 12 days that they've had her, and what a great little busher, even after 4 hours of constant working followed by a mile or two of roadwork, she's still raring to go lol
  • Like 1

Hi Phil. Was that the start of where you are at now?? What type of bitch did he go over??

Geth.

No Geth,...that particular ship sailed,..several decades ago...

Nowadays,..I only keep a wee bush buster,...I don't need sheer speed..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1