Safe Use Of Air Weapons

Is there a recognisable certificated course for the Safe use of air weapons/air rifle. Looking to attend one as I may have some jobs coming up that require a cert.

Do these jobs require professional pest controller's qualifications WhiteN? Just forking out £170.+VAT seems a bit less qualification and more one-day fun shooting course with a 'stifficate at the end of it. Only to say you've attended a course in safe handling and shooting of an air rifle.

Nobody's trying to take the piss out of you here laddie. But neither does anyone want to see someone else doing it to you either! :thumbs:

Edited to add.

What exactly, is the certificate these jobs require? Professional pest-controlling jobs will require more than something to say you can be trusted with an air rifle I would have thought?

Edited by pianoman

I agree with what's being said, the story is I work for a national pest company and I've been using air rifle as part of my job for 10 years and not once been asked for a cert on this, however, without going into much detail about a client that has just been signed up, we are to undertake bird shoots and I think due to the nature of secure sites/work that is carried out by them then this is why we are being asked.

I agree with what's being said, the story is I work for a national pest company and I've been using air rifle as part of my job for 10 years and not once been asked for a cert on this, however, without going into much detail about a client that has just been signed up, we are to undertake bird shoots and I think due to the nature of secure sites/work that is carried out by them then this is why we are being asked.

Are you employed by said pest company or sub contract?

if employed then surely its their duty to get you the required certs to operate on their contracts

if your self employed then only you can way up the cost against gains for getting the certs required.

Nothing stopping your company running a in house course is there?

Then WhiteN, it sounds to me like you are being asked questions by people who have no bloody real idea what they are questioning you about. And are really being overly-concerned about the welbeing of birds and whatever else as cuddly fluffy things that they don't really want shooting, given a choice, but have to! :hmm:

The fact you are employed by a nationally established pest control company is completely lost on them as a disrespectful regard of your professional competences to be there in the first place. :blink:

If I was asked that one, I'd tell them I don't question their competence to do their jobs, so don't be so impertinant to question mine. I'll gladly produce a certificate when THEY pay for the silly course!. Or they can accompany you and see you knock birds down! They'll run a bloody mile then!

• Like 2

We get asked for our air gun certificate as a company more times than not

It is only for the contact to tick all the boxes

So if anything does go wrong or questions get asked they have been seen to cover their own backs

They do not understand the job so they need to look like they do

You could knock up a master of air guns and the law certificate on the computer

And without a doubt they wouldn't verify it or even know where to look

As long as they have something

People do like a bit of paper these days

• Like 3

My air gun competence certificate is now about 20 years old and is still acceptable

I took the course in the stores of the rentokl office with an old theoban shooting at about 15 yards

The best bit is the instructor was

Terry doe

• Like 1

Wouldn't a BASC membership cover this? You are then insured as well?

. HOW DO I KNOW I AM SHOOTING SAFELY?

BASC has a simple assessment carried out by accredited assessors called the Airgun Safe Shot Award. It is not a test of competence. The assessment takes just 20 minutes and can be done at a game fair or organised by you anywhere in England and Wales. To find out more about the Airgun Safe Shot Award please contact BASC Sporting Services department on 01244 573018.

It's been said by many members. Cash cow.

Come round to mine. We will go for a shoot. Have a brew and yak some shit. I print you off a piece of paper saying your ok and you give me £200.

It's only worth as much as what I wipe my arse with. Probably less. At least Andrex is 2 ply and soft. Oh and shea butter scented if you go for the dear stuff.

Wouldn't a BASC membership cover this? You are then insured as well?

. HOW DO I KNOW I AM SHOOTING SAFELY?

BASC has a simple assessment carried out by accredited assessors called the Airgun Safe Shot Award. It is not a test of competence. The assessment takes just 20 minutes and can be done at a game fair or organised by you anywhere in England and Wales. To find out more about the Airgun Safe Shot Award please contact BASC Sporting Services department on 01244 573018.

if you read your basc membership it does not cover you if its paid for.

It's been said by many members. Cash cow.

Come round to mine. We will go for a shoot. Have a brew and yak some shit. I print you off a piece of paper saying your ok and you give me £200.

It's only worth as much as what I wipe my arse with. Probably less. At least Andrex is 2 ply and soft. Oh and shea butter scented if you go for the dear stuff.

i totaly argee with you

Certificates and competence do not go hand in hand, some good doctors and some bad, both more or less have the same qualification. NVQ, National Vocational Qualifications are given out like confetti, we called them, Not Very Quick's, one cannot fail an NVQ, the more a training company passes the more money there is to be had.

All one has to do is drive on any road in the UK and you will see that having something like the old paper and now plastic driving license that says you can drive competently is all just a load of bullshit. Certificates or Qualifications now days I am sorry to say are not in real life any indication of ones capability.

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1