Safe Use Of Air Weapons

I find this type of stuff an insult on intelligence. Ok there's some fuckwits you wouldn't trust with the blunt end of a wooden spoon let alone an airgun.

I see it as a cash cow. More health and safety tosh.

A recognised certificate of competence. Come on.....

I find this type of stuff an insult on intelligence. Ok there's some fuckwits you wouldn't trust with the blunt end of a wooden spoon let alone an airgun.

I see it as a cash cow. More health and safety tosh.

A recognised certificate of competence. Come on.....

i argee with you there moxy. Ive been told that I also need one and Ive have got both fac and sgc so you would have thought that i shouldnt need one, but some companys insurance wont cover anyone that has not had approved training.

Here what the killgrem covers :

Air weapons and the law.

Legislation with regards to target species. General Licences,

Safe use and handing of air weapons.

Types and calibre of air weapons,including strengths and weaknesses.

General maintence procedures.

Air rifle ballistics.

Shooting technique ie Stance, trgger control, moment of shot,follow through etc

Oraganising a shoot and risk assessment.

The course is aimed at pest control professionals who are reqired to use air weapons during the course of their work,mainly but not exclusively, in and around building.

The cost is £170 +vat

The course is aimed at profiteering. Nothing more.

If folk were just allowed to use common sense the wheels would run smoother.

I suppose it makes some kind of sense. Someone from a non shooting background having an airgun thrown at them as part of a job.

It's still madness

cant like your post moxy, but agree 100%, the trouble is with insurance/health and safety is normally competence and being able to prove it if something goes tits up as common sense cant be applied, hence folk get paid to give certificates out to people that could of been doing stuff for 50 year.

it doesn't matter to me I shoot for free but if somebody states you have to have it put it on their bill ;)

Edited by treecreeper
  • Like 4

£170+VAT for a course you could google most of the info for free and a certificate for safe use of an air rifle? You could buy a useful scope for that money.

I can only say I agree entirely with Moxy's assessment.

:bye: Hello Mr Farmer sir, I wonder if I can ask your permission to control the rabbit pest problems you have. I am a pest controller with an air rifle. I have a certificate of competance. Look.

:hmm: Aye, right then. Have you done much shootin' afoor like?

:boogy: Errr No sir. But I've done a course and I have that certificate. I charge very reasonable rates.

:blink: THA WHAT?!! I have a lad that comes on here for nowt. Been shootin' since he was a young-un! He flattens the lot! .....Goodbye! :tongue2:

• Like 6

That's just a piss take its bad enough getting insurance and doing a risk assessment , so in a wee while when Scotland has to get our air guns on a licence does that make us better as we have a certificate ?

That's just a piss take its bad enough getting insurance and doing a risk assessment , so in a wee while when Scotland has to get our air guns on a licence does that make us better as we have a certificate ?

Perhaps all those with air rifles who have to get a licence have also got to do a competence course?

Government run of course. Another stealth tax!

Interestingly, some years back I actually, compiled and run such a course for a Major, National, Pest Control Company.

Certificates were given out at the end, including one to me, because although I was a Shooting Instructor, RCO, Deer Mentor, FAC and SGC owner, BPCA qualified Technician, etc etc etc, I didn't actually have an Air Gun certificate! So I got qualified from a course I complied and ran!

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :thumbs:

• Like 1

I have done many many courses, some twice for CPD points. The air gun one is the least attractive, what a load of old tosh, money for old rope. I have SGC and have used that for Local Authorities contracts and they haven't once asked for "competency" test. Ridiculous.

F*** sh***te I work on a farm, driving tractors, working machinery, working with cattle and sheep.....The only certificate You need for this is a driving licence. Ive been shooting for 40 years+..... Ill have to apply LMAO!! :haha:

Edited by 0395kenyon

This kind of stuff will only apply to industry normal folk won't ever know existed.

Sadly it's an industry I'm involved in but thankfully not in the pest capacity. I get my arse spanked red enough whilst bent over and saying thanks. Oh!! And at my expense!

As Decker almost said. Not worth the paper it's written on.

"For insurance purposes only" :yes:

:hmm: FACT No.1. There are currently, something like 3 million unlicensed, legal limit air rifles in UK ownership.

:hmm: FACT No.2. That represents a huge, untapped financially advantageaous, untaxed sector of the sporting leisure market.

:hmm: FACT No.3. The UK economy is in a terrible state and Osborne is blundering about looking for taxes to be levied..

Ergo...THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE SOMEWHERE, WORKING OUT A WAY TO CAPITALISE AND MAKE MONEY OUT OF THAT LOT.

Certificated courses and other bullshit are just the first example. Licensing will follow. You can be sure it will, one day. I have never in my life once have been asked to produce some form of certificate of competency for my rifles and I'm sure no one else here has either. When licenses have to be imposed on air rifles to make capital out of this sport, and they will one day, I'm going fully FAC air. and rimfire.

But until that sorry day, this is just a pointless waste of time and money. I would have thought professional pest controllers hold shotgun and firearms certificates for cartridge hunting rifles for rabbiting, foxing etc. And are already industry certificated and acredited to the hilt as it is.

• Like 2