Electric Fences - Mains Or Battery

Hello, last year's pig project was close to the house and I used a borrowed mains energiser.

This year, the field is about 300 yards from the house.

How viable is running a cable alongside a dry stone wall this kind of distance?

There will be a raised bit at the start then a long run to the field.

I am considering mains because these will be pigs and they may work out when the battery has less current.

Also i don't want the energiser getting knicked.

My alternative would be to bury a battery energiser close to the electric fence and have a reasonably secure but still accessible leisure battery.

Bloody criminals, they do make these things complicated.

And should I use wire or pony tape?

Wire will be less visible for pigs and crooks.

Thank you

Pesky

battery fencers are a popular item to get nicked, farmers even do it to other farmers

mains fencers are close to home and are at least secured to a wall

Yes they are, and if someone can see a run of fencing from a road then they may be tempted to bob over the wall and make off with my box of tricks.

I had thought of burying the energiser but that could cause me problems.

If I use my shed, I will still have to run a live feed from the house to the shed.

Then the insulated cable top the energiser.

The shed wouldn't be bullet proof but there are things you can do.

chuffin criminals. Eastern Europeans gangs are the current bad uns round here.

battery fencers are a popular item to get nicked, farmers even do it to other farmers

mains fencers are close to home and are at least secured to a wall

Yes they are, and if someone can see a run of fencing from a road then they may be tempted to bob over the wall and make off with my box of tricks.

I had thought of burying the energiser but that could cause me problems.

If I use my shed, I will still have to run a live feed from the house to the shed.

Then the insulated cable top the energiser.

The shed wouldn't be bullet proof but there are things you can do.

they can follow any run of electric fencing to be fair, if they are snooping around a yard they run the risk of being seen on cctv or calving cam, bumping into the farmer or just as bad the farm dogs... in the sticks theres no-one to see [BANNED TEXT] fencer being nicked

Yes, I think I will drop a tangle of barb wire on top of it. After I have insulated the terminals that is

just found these, wouldnt be hard to build something similar for a fraction of the cost http://shop.electricfencing.co.uk/shop/42/62/2469/security-box-for-energisers-with-stand

Almost tempted to get a scrap car and lock the thing in the boot. Not very neighbour friendly though.

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I bought a Mole Valley Dual Power energizer, so I can use mains or leisure battery.

I used armoured 2.5 mm cable run from my garage to the mid point shed then electrical points in the shed and a length of coax to the fence.

I got it all safety checked.

I opted for two runs of galv wire round 16 plastic poles and insulated blocks on wooden posts in the corners.

Pigs have been ordered.