• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Built my 1st pond in 2013 and decided to rebuild it as had no bottom drain and fish we're getting to big for it

Put the cellotex on the walls ready for fiberglasser, he came in finished it in about 6 hours. Really happy with the finish

Pond finished and fish in at last

Posted Images

I was going to but the price on a descent liner is £450 so got a quote on Fiberglass and works out just under a grand

Seems a lot but at least I've got piece of mind and won't need to replace the liner at a later date, I made a lot of mistakes on my first pond so I don't want to be building another one because I'm not happy with it a a later date

Edited by whatdog72
  • Like 1

I was going to but the price on a descent liner is £450 so got a quote on Fiberglass and works out just under a grand

Seems a lot but at least I've got piece of mind and won't need to replace the liner at a later date, I made a lot of mistakes on my first pond so I don't want to be building another one because I'm not happy with it a a later date

Wish I would have gone fibreglass now was £150 for 10ltr of pond paint only used 5ltr tho but I have put 5 coats on it. How for the fibreglass if don't mind me askin? The quotes I was getting was around £25/£30 sqm

Not that hard to glassfibre it yourself , spent 40 years doing glassfibre work.

quantity mix is easy with inexpensive measuring equipment and not as critical as surgery.

A little practice on an easy part 1st.

Materials from a local supplier or evilbay.

If you are smooth concreting it out minimal lay is all thats needed and if you can use a paint roller on long handles you could save a respectable amount of dosh .

Edited by Denny essex
  • Like 3

Not that hard to glassfibre it yourself , spent 40 years doing glassfibre work.

quantity mix is easy with inexpensive measuring equipment and not as critical as surgery.

A little practice on an easy part 1st.

Materials from a local supplier or evilbay.

If you are smooth concreting it out minimal lay is all thats needed and if you can use a paint roller on long handles you could save a respectable amount of dosh .

Bang on advice pal, I done a few ponds for mates now, learnt the trade building boats

I have thought about doing the Fiberglass myself as I've been watching videos on YouTube and seen in in selco fairly cheap,

I am using a 25mm celotex board against the block work and concrete for insulation and to act as a damp course plus I've got 2x 2" pond returns and the bottom drain to Fiberglass round so that's why I was going to get someone in for piece of mind, the last thing I want is the pond leaking when I've got my fish in there, plus I've save a load doing the rest of the work myself

I'm in Birmingham if you fancy doing it, I will buy all the gear and we can sort a price out I just want it done now as I've got loads of work on and need to get it finished

Question - sorry to hijack thread but its on same subject lol

I planned on having a pond last year dug a big hole basically 20ft x 20ft and 5 foot deep roughly

I left it for the winter but going to start work on it shortly haven't had a pond before and haven't a clue .

Things I need Liner , Underlay for liner , Filter and Pump .

Is there anything else like a must have ? and any tips before i start ?

Thanks in advance

I planned on having a pond last year dug a big hole basically 20ft x 20ft and 5 foot deep roughly

I left it for the winter but going to start work on it shortly haven't had a pond before and haven't a clue .

Thanks in advance

It all depends on what type of pond you want and what type of fish you want to keep

My pal has about a 10ft by 3ft deep wildlife pond which has just little black box filter and a pump, he has around 10 medium size fish loads of plants and he's happy with seeing his fish now and again in murky water when he feeds them

I keep koi and like to see my fish swimming round so I would recommend a bottom drain into a good quality filter pumped back to the pond through a UV light but that's just my preference

Anyone can keep fish but for them to thrive and grow its all about water quality and the right stocking levels to match your filters

• Like 1

Thanks in advance

Just worked out your pond and it is 12460 gallons (56693 litres ) that's some serious filters and pump you would need, it's recommended you turn over your pond at least once every two hours I personally try around once an hour but that's just me

If you google pond calculator it will give to pump, liner and filter sizes before you start

Thanks in advance

Just worked out your pond and it is 12460 gallons (56693 litres ) that's some serious filters and pump you would need, it's recommended you turn over your pond at least once every two hours I personally try around once an hour but that's just me

If you google pond calculator it will give to pump, liner and filter sizes before you start

you say turn over ? turn the pump on you mean ? for how long at a time ? can pumps etc be set on timers ?

Question - sorry to hijack thread but its on same subject lol I planned on having a pond last year dug a big hole basically 20ft x 20ft and 5 foot deep roughly I left it for the winter but going to start work on it shortly haven't had a pond before and haven't a clue . Things I need Liner , Underlay for liner , Filter and Pump . Is there anything else like a must have ? and any tips before i start ? Thanks in advance

Just worked out your pond and it is 12460 gallons (56693 litres ) that's some serious filters and pump you would need, it's recommended you turn over your pond at least once every two hours I personally try around once an hour but that's just meIf you google pond calculator it will give to pump, liner and filter sizes before you start
you say turn over ? turn the pump on you mean ? for how long at a time ? can pumps etc be set on timers ?

Turnover means how long it takes to run all the water in the pond through the filter(s).

Thing is Deerman, it's all relative to what fish you want to keep. ;)

Question - sorry to hijack thread but its on same subject lol I planned on having a pond last year dug a big hole basically 20ft x 20ft and 5 foot deep roughly I left it for the winter but going to start work on it shortly haven't had a pond before and haven't a clue . Things I need Liner , Underlay for liner , Filter and Pump . Is there anything else like a must have ? and any tips before i start ? Thanks in advance

Just worked out your pond and it is 12460 gallons (56693 litres ) that's some serious filters and pump you would need, it's recommended you turn over your pond at least once every two hours I personally try around once an hour but that's just meIf you google pond calculator it will give to pump, liner and filter sizes before you start

As bosun said mate you will need a pump big enough to pump the 12460 gallons through the filter every 2 hr