Question - sorry to hijack thread but its on same subject lol I planned on having a pond last year dug a big hole basically 20ft x 20ft and 5 foot deep roughly I left it for the winter but going to start work on it shortly haven't had a pond before and haven't a clue . Things I need Liner , Underlay for liner , Filter and Pump . Is there anything else like a must have ? and any tips before i start ? Thanks in advance

Just worked out your pond and it is 12460 gallons (56693 litres ) that's some serious filters and pump you would need, it's recommended you turn over your pond at least once every two hours I personally try around once an hour but that's just meIf you google pond calculator it will give to pump, liner and filter sizes before you start
you say turn over ? turn the pump on you mean ? for how long at a time ? can pumps etc be set on timers ?

Turnover means how long it takes to run all the water in the pond through the filter(s).

Thing is Deerman, it's all relative to what fish you want to keep. ;)

I havent really thought about fish did toy with the idea of 2/3 Carp but not really arsed about fish more so to sit by in summer with a pint of cider in evenings

• Like 4

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Built my 1st pond in 2013 and decided to rebuild it as had no bottom drain and fish we're getting to big for it

Put the cellotex on the walls ready for fiberglasser, he came in finished it in about 6 hours. Really happy with the finish

Pond finished and fish in at last

Posted Images

Fair play to you that's a big old pond for 2/3 carp

Didnt really think about fish when wanted a pond, just dug the hole to a size that dont look to small or large for my garden, but like i said 3/4 carp do me if i get any fish at all.

Edited by DEERMAN

Fair play to you that's a big old pond for 2/3 carp

Didnt really think about fish when wanted a pond, just dug the hole to a size that dont look to small or large for my garden, but like i said 3/4 carp do me if i get any fish at all.
Be able to grow some good size koi on in that
  • 3 weeks later...

Concrete pour was booked last week but noticed I cracked my bottom drain so had to replace it and reschedule the pour

Lucky I spotted it as would of had to dig it all out again

Concrete was a killer pushing up the ramp but last of my big jobs completed just need to sort Fiberglass and filters out

post-13958-0-55896300-1462410648_thumb.jpg

post-13958-0-11917000-1462410686_thumb.jpg

post-13958-0-30141200-1462410727_thumb.jpg

post-13958-0-22954100-1462410752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good spot mate saved yourself some graft there lol. That's not bad ramp try pushing a cube n half in barrows up a steep 40ft drive then up a ramp to cover 5 steps that was a killer hahaha. Looking well now soon be fish in there

Good spot mate saved yourself some graft there lol. That's not bad ramp try pushing a cube n half in barrows up a steep 40ft drive then up a ramp to cover 5 steps that was a killer hahaha. Looking well now soon be fish in there

Just want it finished now, been too long trying to get it done juggling work, dogs,birds, allotment and family
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...