A mate of mine was out on a Lough doing a spot of fishing and his outboard decided to jump overboard. It's worth enough to try and retrieve and he knows the approximate area it's in. Max depth 6ft off coloured water. Any ideas on best way to try and locate it lads? Magnet on a string/rope no use as the shaft and prop are aluminium, net or diver has been mentioned. Any advice more than welcome.

Should be easy enough to get the out board with a net if its only in 6ft of water.Get a good heavy salmon gill net,it has a weighted bottom line made from lead usually and all you need then is a couple of boats and drag the net along the bottom of the lough,easier once he has a good idea of the area its in.

• Like 1

Should be easy enough to get the out board with a net if its only in 6ft of water.Get a good heavy salmon gill net,it has a weighted bottom line made from lead usually and all you need then is a couple of boats and drag the net along the bottom of the lough,easier once he has a good idea of the area its in.

PS.i have a small piece of chain fitted to my out board with a clip om the end that hooks into a ring fitted to the boat just incase the engine hits a rock or something to make it pop up,it may come lose but wont fall in.

• Like 3

A mate of mine was out on a Lough doing a spot of fishing and his outboard decided to jump overboard. It's worth enough to try and retrieve and he knows the approximate area it's in. Max depth 6ft off coloured water. Any ideas on best way to try and locate it lads? Magnet on a string/rope no use as the shaft and prop are aluminium, net or diver has been mentioned. Any advice more than welcome.

if its only in six foot of water you should easily be able to dive down and retrieve it,i think it would be your best and quickest way, unless your mate is three feet tall........lol i also use to have a wire to the engine and the other end anchored to the transom on my smaller boats, but on my bigger boats with a bigger engines, i would bolt the engine on the transom, hope this helps mate.

• Like 1

Dropped mine in Loch Ness, marked a tree for location could not see it and had to wait till loch dropped, used a glass bottom bucket and found it two months later, stripped cleaned and serviced she came back to life no problem, course was an old sea gull motor don't think new ones would be able to with stand a long dooking.

B.

• Like 1

You would think so but the bottom of this place is just as dangerous as the surface so wading the area to locate it would be risky.

hi mate, what makes it as dangerous 6ft down, as it does the surface? i must be missing something, i'm not being funny or anything, i'm interested to know,

The bottom of the lake is mulch and muddy even when wadding around the outskirts when fishing you have to be particularly careful, it's an unforgiving place. I lost my footing one day a few years back in 3ft off water and the effort I had to put in to get my feet free and stand upright was a scary experience to say the least.

The bottom of the lake is mulch and muddy even when wadding around the outskirts when fishing you have to be particularly careful, it's an unforgiving place. I lost my footing one day a few years back in 3ft off water and the effort I had to put in to get my feet free and stand upright was a scary experience to say the least.

ah right, a soft bottom, so..........wont the engine be covered over by now then, in that case a net isn't going to catch it, if i was you i would go over to were it is in a boat, drive down with a rope and hook it on the motor and pull it up off the bottom by standing in the boat, that way you wouldn't as such be standing on the bottom,