What Springer??

Hello All,

I have been shooting for many years now, using PCP's.

I want to return to a springer, probably memories of my childhood!! I am looking for a springer in .177, I have been looking at the HW97 black line, from Sandwell Field sports and get a stage 1 tune.

I just wondered what others shoot in springers?

Thanks

John...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've shot with a few Prosports when the opportunity arose and I think it's one of the very best air rifles I have ever encountered. I love it's handling and balance. It's got lovely full-bore classic

It's often mentioned in their signatures.   The 97 is many people's favourite. However, it may need a bit of fettling to get it shooting sweetly.   Or you could just buy an AA TX200, which is rep

here you go and cheep at that in the call you want and a top class rifle   if i had not spent a small fortune on the new hw110 i would of had this   Walther Lgv Master Pro .177   just click on th

Posted Images

It's often mentioned in their signatures. :laugh:

The 97 is many people's favourite. However, it may need a bit of fettling to get it shooting sweetly.

Or you could just buy an AA TX200, which is reputed to be as good as a well-sorted 97 straight out of the box.

Or a Walther LGU.

• Like 1

To be honest you don't have to shell out a fortune to buy a decent springer although quality does come at a price, I gave £40 for an old webley stingray spent a week stripping, polishing and lubing it and it turned out to be probably the sweetest springer I've owned I sold it recently and regretted it ever since, I've also owned and sold 97's, a prosport, 2 lightnings so the webley was in good company, at present all I have is a 95 which is also a nice gun to shoot smooth and accurate

Nice debate and good question Gaoler :good:

I too have shot air rifles a long time :icon_redface: but of all the springers in those years i did my home work to buy a "back up springer" for my 100`s should i ever get caught with no air. I bought the AA TX 200 HC .177 and with "top advice" put the Mamba 4-16 x44 scope on her.( Davey t63) who shoots the same as me. "ish"

This was excellent advice, as this springer is no back up rifle to any other, springer or pcp, she is lethal, to all vermin out to 60 yds (if need be).

I spoke with Tony ( Wall) of Sandwell Field Sports to some length, with regards to tuning the TX (T REX) and he would not tune the T Rex as as far as he is concerned - it is so well made it is already tuned to pretty much the highest degree out of the box .

I can`t speak for the Walther LGU but Charlie (caller) is a good lad and owns one and will help.

Best i can say Gaoler is check out HW, AArms Walther as they are the usual thumbs up.

Good luck with your choices mate. :good:

By the way,- which pcp`s are you using please ? and calibre ?

atb

If you fancy a tinker, go the weihrauch route. If you don't, go the Walther, air arms route with such a rifle as the PS. Although I've always though the under lever is a bit wank.

The only reason, apart from the actual science, smaller transfer ports, springs etc that the tuned feel is apparent 'straight out the box' is the synthetic innards that the later mentioned makes are running on. Obviously there is more bits and bobs but tiny differences. Those synthetic rings around the piston make so much difference it's unbelievable. There the foundation of a v-glide system that some charge £200 for as an upgrade to the HW springers. And that's an extra on a standard rifle.

It does surprise me that HW haven't started looking at implementing such devices into the internals of there rifles, but I guess it's part of the "sell". Weihrauch sit back and let the shooters create rifles that sell there rifles. They appeal more to the 'tuners' in the industry and indeed individual people having a go at creating such different examples that it's a massive selling tool if a uber tuned HW is out there, and poeple see what can be done.

Hence the reason why Sandwell as Mark says, with tony wall, is making a killing from creating the imp. At the end of the day it's a Weihrauch 99, and Weihrauch have probably had an immense rise in the order of 99's from what he's and his team are doing with the 99.

Which leads me back to my first sentence, if you like creating your 'own' rifle, look at the HW models, if you just want to shoot an smooth as you like springer straight away, then you won't go wrong with the AA and Walther springers.

• Like 1

What about the AA pro sport in .177, does anybody shoot this rifle?

I have a Pro Sport in 177 and .22

I shot an HW35 for years in .22 and try as I might, can't seem to settle with .177.

Loading 22 into a Pro Sport is much easier.

.177 is currently in fashion though, for now

• Like 1

Oh here it comes ! :laugh:

.177 springer, now that man can can place his shot ! :yes:

.22 springer, now that man "relies" on his heavier pellet because he "can`t quite place his shot"

:feck::laugh:

G`night all x

And I think this is probably right. I don't know how much of this is my own experience because I am so used to .22.

Loading a Pro Sport is a bit of an arse, definitely compared to a break barrel

And more fiddly than a 77/97.

Trying to load a .177 into a Pro Sport is like threading a needle, especially when you are lying on your belly and you have just missed that rabbit but are vying for a second go.

Pesky

Oh here it comes ! :laugh:

.177 springer, now that man can can place his shot ! :yes:

.22 springer, now that man "relies" on his heavier pellet because he "can`t quite place his shot"

:feck::laugh:

G`night all x

And I think this is probably right. I don't know how much of this is my own experience because I am so used to .22.

Loading a Pro Sport is a bit of an arse, definitely compared to a break barrel

And more fiddly than a 77/97.

Trying to load a .177 into a Pro Sport is like threading a needle, especially when you are lying on your belly and you have just missed that rabbit but are vying for a second go.

Pesky

Pahahhaa. Load a right handed PS with your left hand... Mission.

The only downfall for AA models is this, the breech doesn't open both sides action, like you get with the HW models. Might even get one if they did. At the minute you get 'charged' more for being left handed, or right handed but having to shoot left for varies reasons.