What Got You In The Game

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man and first memory was waking up in the front of he's car when I was just a little lad and looking out the window and seeing him slipping he's dog on a hare

I over heard a bloke in a pub telling another bloke he would get him a few rabbits at weekend & i started talking to him turned out i knew his wife so she vouched for me & he took me out with

The person that got me into it the most was this guy, my Mums, Dad. By taking me to catch my first trout when I was about 5. My mum is the little lass on the right here.     If I am honest though

Posted Images

I was born in turkey ans lived their till i was 9. When i was very young i went on the odd hunting trip with my granfather, who had salukis, i will never forget the first hare they caught, touching its fur and looking at it close up, i was hooked from then on. When i moved to the uk after that, i seen a mates dad go ferreting with a whippet and seen how it was done over their, will allways remember the first rabbit that bolted into the net and the mates father taking it out and giving it the krati chop to kill it..lol...

Got my first ferrets in the uk in 82, from then on it was all hunting, lurchers ect, I moved to ireland when i was 21, back in 1989 and got into the lurchers, mainly rabbits, but allways had a passion for the saluki, which is what i am going back to now.

• Like 2

Started with ferrets then the rest followed. Lurchers, hawks shooting but lurchers have and always will be my favourite

Always used to see a bloke in my village who had lurchers when I was a kid ask him about them and what they were used for. Luckily he was a mate of my dad's so he showed me ferreting etc.

what village that dogmad? donny lad arent you?

The bloke who got me into it ( Mick) was not only good with dogs but probably the best shot ive ever seen with a shot gun & very good with a rifle. He was a true countryman knew all species of birds , trees etc at a glance. We became good mates from very first outing 30+ years ago. He is very sadly missed. Atb

• Like 4

I'll stay away from the "Romantic Stories" and cut a very long story short..

Grew up in France where a Greyhound was crossed with your granny to a spaniel. We hunted everything from

Rabbits, deer to wild boar. Deer and boar were my favourite and challenging. Then one day I moved to England, same type of ugly mutts but slightly more racy looking and less coat.

Terrain was very different to what I was use to in France, so I adapted, we all hate change.

Luckily I still have family and friends in France and go back twice a year for some fun with the dogs and shoot some angry boars!

• Like 1

my dads two jack russells got me the bug when i was about 9 used to walk them up the fields behind my school which held a good number of rabbits the odd fox and some feral cats il never forget the first good hunt they got of a fox in a big bramble patch the buzz and adrenaline rush i got from that had me hooked,started to venture further in the country from then looking for more game,bumped in to like minded kids in the country who are still friends and hunting partners.

from about the age of 7 from birds egging mousing fishing always into outdoor stuff then when I was about 9 got a new next door neighbour with a whippet used to b out all the time for hours so used to koaks it round the corner with a biscuit and take it out down the old railway line for half the day caught my first bunny happy days they were

My father had a greyhound miss mars.was told as a young boy never to let her of when walking her.But back then we're we lived was full off game. Me being me I let her of at a hare witch she caught that was me. Forty years later still I am amazed watching my dogs working. Ps yes my father did find out what I had done when I brought home my prise I got a good hiding for it .life lol

My uncle started me off he's 75 now and still loves it cleans the kennels out and helps me patch up dogs ! I been going since I was 6 ferreting digging all sorts of hunting went abit off the rails as a young teen but never forget my first fox with rose and jet to big black lurchers I was 9 didn't like till I was 18 my uncle never did it so never new what it was but live and breath dogs now no where is to far to drive for a hunt ! More of a day time hunter myself love a dog that hunts up and finds its quarry

My uncle started me off he's 75 now and still loves it cleans the kennels out and helps me patch up dogs ! I been going since I was 6 ferreting digging all sorts of hunting went abit off the rails as a young teen but never forget my first fox with rose and jet to big black lurchers I was 9 didn't lamp till I was 18 my uncle never did it so never new what it was but live and breath dogs now no where is to far to drive for a hunt ! More of a day time hunter myself love a dog that hunts up and finds its quarry