Whippet X Spaniel... Any Good?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice to see someone taking on such a challenge for the dogs benefit & not the usual " if it don't work i'll shoot it shit". Fair play to you & i hope all works out for you & your pup. Atb

Sad but true. But, I will give it my best shot. I knew that when I took him on, and there has been some improvement in the two weeks we have had him, so even if he does not work, I will still have a g

The thing is that once the pup has turned somewhere between 12 and 16 weeks (depends on the individual) the window of creating neural pathways has closed, almost. If the pup hasn't been able, through

My mate had a Cocker whippet x years ago, was best ratching dog I have ever seen, looked like a Patterdale terrier, don't have a pic unfortunately.

This one looks like a whippet. 5 months old 19 and a bit inches to the shoulder, with a little bit of knuckle left.

2016_0303cynon0032_zps8neheczf.jpg

TC

• Like 2

Tiercel do you know if the sire or dam was the whippet?

Sire was a hardblood 21" tts (Non pedigree) of dubious parentage whippet. Dam was a non papered, but working springer. Supposedly an accidental mating?

TC

Sound mate cheers. It's certainly thrown to the whippet.

There is a long story behind me getting the dog, as it is a rescue of sorts. My daughter and her boyfriend were working for a horse dealer breaking horses. His girlfriend left him and he had a breakdown of sorts. Sacked all his staff bar one, the kennel girl who came in every day to feed and clean his kennels. The bitch had 8 pups two died and the remaining six were left in the kennel with no human contact bar the feeding and cleaning out once a day.

The dealer has finally got his act together and the daughters boyfriend is back working for him. When the daughter broached the subject about the pups and how they did not react to humans as pups should. He told her if she could get good homes for them then she could take them. So that's what she did, brought 5 basically wild pups home with her. ( the kennel maid took one for herself).

As she knew the parents of the pups and remembers them being born when she was working there, and could vouch that they are what they were claimed to be It would be rude to refuse an offer of a free pup. That said, everything in the garden is not rosy, as the pups did not interact with humans at all. We have had the pup about 2 weeks now and he has not even wagged his tail. He does interact with the daughters dog we got landed with but only to a certain extent. But yesterday, we turned a corner and he actually played with the daughters dog and has started interacting with the female members of the family, but still wets himself if I even look at him.

This is a first for me I have never seen a dog so afraid of humans especially males. If he comes to work then all well and good, if not we will have another pet dog.

TC

• Like 1

The sad truth is that pups devoid of human interaction at the neonatal stage seldom come right no matter how long you try .........

Sad but true. But, I will give it my best shot. I knew that when I took him on, and there has been some improvement in the two weeks we have had him, so even if he does not work, I will still have a good looking dog as a pet.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 4