The One Show!

Statement : from the AWL.

How one sided

The item on “the one show” showed a very one sided view of working Terrier and Lurcher/longdog owners. There are many thousands of law abiding owners of these wonderful working dogs. Many are members of their respective governing bodies., The National Working Terrier federation (NWT) and the Association for the working Lurcher/Longdog (AWL) Speaking as Chairman of the A.W.L. we impose a strict code of conduct for our members and as an association we are answerable to our governing body the Council of Hunting associations (CHA)

Many Lurcher, Longdog and Terrier owners, members of their respective governing bodies and non-members, also impose upon themselves strict rules of sportsmanship and good conduct. All law abiding owners of working dogs, condemn all cruel and unlawful acts.

Some scenes in the item where completely one sided . Hunting Rats and Rabbits with dogs is perfectly legal and when conducted in the daytime or at night with the use of a lamp is a lawful method of pest control. To open a freezer and imply that the contents are the remains of some animal that has died a cruel death, when, in fact the contents were more likely to be dog food bought from a local supplier, to show a knife in a food prep area and to suggest that it was some implement of torture beggars belief. To have first aid items accessible shows concern for your working dog, in his own words they are described as first aid items. The relevant words are FIRST AID, to have a first aid kit, surely does not mean that, if required, a visit to a vet will not be made but that the welfare of your dog is paramount.

Yes, there are bad elements in the working dog fraternity, as there are bad elements in all other walks of life and these must be dealt with, they are criminals.

As lawful owners of working dogs, we must distance ourselves from them. We get great pleasure from our working dogs. Whether we use our dogs for hunting rabbits, racing, showing, or just as companions, we should not be compared to the criminal element.

That the dogs featured may well have been used for illegal purposes may well be true and the owners should be dealt with as criminals, but such a one sided item, that does not show the other side of responsible working dog ownership, should be condemned by all the true sportsmen who care for their working dogs.

Perhaps showing the caring working dog owner would not be as dramatic or as sensational.

Alan Tyer

Chairman

Association for the Working Lurcher/ Longdog

• Like 11

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statement : from the AWL.   How one sided   The item on “the one show” showed a very one sided view of working Terrier and Lurcher/longdog owners. There are many thousands of law abiding owners o

Since when has it been illegal to have a lamp and first aid equipment for dogs , typical shit reporting with the usual bunch of know nothing arse spca , bbc and the police ...when he picked up a knif

Just watched it completely one sided maybe they should do a clip of dymenteds story and how the RSPCA let a dog die and suffer in their care

Posted Images

Thanks Skycat. Yes, it is on it's way to the BBC and also to the "Countryman's Weekly". Skycat, come and join us.

Forgot to say: I've just done an article for the CMW on it as well. Will be in next week's issue. Pretty much saying the same thing you said, and a few more inflammatory observations on today's society.

• Like 1

Thanks Skycat. Yes, it is on it's way to the BBC and also to the "Countryman's Weekly". Skycat, come and join us.

Forgot to say: I've just done an article for the CMW on it as well. Will be in next week's issue. Pretty much saying the same thing you said, and a few more inflammatory observations on today's society.

The BBC were attacking prince William this morning for saying that Hunting has a place in the conservation of African wildlife. The truth is he is 100% correct, like it or not it generates the income to pay for there protection and if done correctly will have a positive effect on a species future, animals die daily in the wild, most well before there time and in some horrible ways, these left wing animal right supporters need to get there head out of Mays and Oddies rear end and look at the bigger picture. its like hunting "Killing" a fox and how much emotion it causes, but the reality is hunting is as much to do with "killing" a fox as Christmas is, to Killing" a turkey.

The BBC were attacking prince William this morning for saying that Hunting has a place in the conservation of African wildlife. The truth is he is 100% correct, like it or not it generates the income to pay for there protection and if done correctly will have a positive effect on a species future, animals die daily in the wild, most well before there time and in some horrible ways, these left wing animal right supporters need to get there head out of Mays and Oddies rear end and look at the bigger picture. its like hunting "Killing" a fox and how much emotion it causes, but the reality is hunting is as much to do with "killing" a fox as Christmas is, to Killing" a turkey.

Bang on there paulus, most of these idiots have forgot that we (humans) have a direct role to play, we not here on earth as spectators I'm not talking about knocking a few rabbits over but on global scale, these so called conservationists act like there aliens only here to watch from a distance, I've never been one for trophies but if some yank is going to 100k to a conservation place to shoot an old lion that's been kicked out of its pride, then why not? But on the other hand big money attracts dck heads and leads to canned hunts or shoots and I just cant get my head around that its just...shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind.

Bang on there paulus, most of these idiots have forgot that we (humans) have a direct role to play, we not here on earth as spectators I'm not talking about knocking a few rabbits over but on global scale, these so called conservationists act like there aliens only here to watch from a distance, I've never been one for trophies but if some yank is going to 100k to a conservation place to shoot an old lion that's been kicked out of its pride, then why not? But on the other hand big money attracts dck heads and leads to canned hunts or shoots and I just cant get my head around that its just...shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind.

easier to control legal hunting than it would be to control poaching. when a pride leader (male lion) is toppled by a challenger, the next thing it will do is kill all the cubs that the old male sired. if he had been culled before his time was at its end then the cubs would have been saved. As for canned trophy hunts, thats a difficult one as you are only shooting a single targeted animal not just hunting a species, its enevitable that some canned element would have to be involved.

This all comes down to once again, imbociles taking there photos and videos and posting it onto social media sites.. Facebook is absolutely alive with numerous lurcher/terrier pages. It all seems theres a new person setting up a yet another pages willing people to join from the restof the pages every single day. Now ive joined a couple of the more popular ones. And i'll be honest, it really is no surprise theres been so many reports in the newspapers and now television. The people who set up the pages are as f***ing daft as the assholes posting the incriminating evidence. Social media has become the antis main weapon.

Also when they do post daft photos and someone advises them to remove it... They're response is normally along the lines off "haha i dont give a f**k, f**k the police".

. I'm not on fb but my brother showed me one this page things your on about bloke had pic of himself full face in view on pic with dog and 2 hare. I thought it was some sort of piss take at first but turned out the full page was filled with pics like that with lots of comment like the one I've quoted now I must be a lil nieve because I did not think people where that stupid in grassing them selfs to the world!! But it's definitely all they's fb pricks who are getting things hot!!

Also when they do post daft photos and someone advises them to remove it... They're response is normally along the lines off "haha i dont give a f**k, f**k the police".

I cannot see how this situation could ever change, other than a repeal of the hunting act, and getting the genuine dog workers who do give a f**k about wildlife and conservation back on the land

. I'm not on fb but my brother showed me one this page things your on about bloke had pic of himself full face in view on pic with dog and 2 hare. I thought it was some sort of piss take at first but turned out the full page was filled with pics like that with lots of comment like the one I've quoted now I must be a lil nieve because I did not think people where that stupid in grassing them selfs to the world!! But it's definitely all they's fb pricks who are getting things hot!!
hares are nothing mate , Iv seen far far far worse things posted than hares on there. Honestly the one picture u wouldn't even believe me if I said.

Newcastle top on the lot. Unbelievable!!