Wels....

If you're using a hair then a free running rig doesn't have advantages really. I use a flat lead and have a stop after about 12 inch, so that the fish, when pricked by the hair will have that amount of movement until it hits the lead and drives the point home.......catfish are not intelligent......

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spotted my target for this summer...

Last neet........ 4lb line....

A full 30lb heavier than the last one at 49lb 5 oz....

Posted Images

Most people fish for predators with free running rigs because of the lack of resistance . I think it's the change in resistance that's that causes dropped runs but I wouldn't be confident of not getting dropped runs with bolt rigs . Bait wise you could try deads or lives (if allowed) , luncheon meat or liver , lob worm or leaches( if your feeling flush) or boilies and pellet . They will all catch fish but I suspect more cats are caught on boilie and pellet these days

Mate of mine was a bit annoyed to catch a 50lb one with a banana boilie in a public lake near to me thats got 50lb+ carp.

Most people fish for predators with free running rigs because of the lack of resistance . I think it's the change in resistance that's that causes dropped runs but I wouldn't be confident of not getting dropped runs with bolt rigs . Bait wise you could try deads or lives (if allowed) , luncheon meat or liver , lob worm or leaches( if your feeling flush) or boilies and pellet . They will all catch fish but I suspect more cats are caught on boilie and pellet these days

Mate of mine was a bit annoyed to catch a 50lb one with a banana boilie in a public lake near to me thats got 50lb+ carp.

empty your inbox buddy.....

A tin of mackerel, sardines or tuna is an easy cheap bait for this time of year, just get some stocking and tie with floss, you can make them as big as you like, for big cats I make them about as big as a golf ball and put them on a long hair with a size 2 hook.

For really big cats the best bait by far are eels.

I've wanted to catch a catfish for a while so had a go for them this year. Only for a few days and I've only had babies up to 22lb so far but I really enjoy catching them. I haven't been fishing for long and I'm a useless angler with zero skills so everything's a struggle but I love it.

Out of the 106 types of fish I've caught the Wels catfish is now my firm favourite.

Edited by pointer
  • Like 2

There's a famous albino one around Walton I think

There was an angler murdered on thursday under walton bridge,found with a head wound floating in the thames,someone has been arrested RIP.