Wels....

Good luck to you Mr Darcy.

I have had a few, although nothing to shout about, but I'm looking for my first out of the Thames this year. If that happens I will be shouting, even if its tiny! :thumbs:

There's some big cats in the Thames if you know where to target, the lads that fish for them are very secretive about it, I know of 50/60lb plus fish coming out of there.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spotted my target for this summer...

Last neet........ 4lb line....

A full 30lb heavier than the last one at 49lb 5 oz....

Posted Images

I have had a few, although nothing to shout about, but I'm looking for my first out of the Thames this year. If that happens I will be shouting, even if its tiny! :thumbs:

There's some big cats in the Thames if you know where to target, the lads that fish for them are very secretive about it, I know of 50/60lb plus fish coming out of there.

I can see more and more rivers holding them over the coming decade. It might not happen yet, but within two decades we'll have 'ebro' style catfishing I reckon....I really do. back in the 80's kevin Maddocks predicted the catfish would be the fish of the 90's, taking over from the carp. Obviously that didn't happen in that timescale, but it's happening more and more now. It has always been said that the catfish cannot spawn in the Uk rivers due to their temperature, but I think they are found in colder places than the UK, so who knows. How long will be be before people are legering 1lb carp livebait? !! On the river! :victory:

• Like 1

Over here it is amazing just where they turn up. Right in the middle of towns and cities, canals, lakes and rivers. I honestly think that the only reason there aren't more caught in the UK is that people don't fish for them unless they know that they are there. If I were looking to catch a catfish in the Thames or Trent I'd look for a regular match stretch and fish it straight after the match with a big dead bait.

• Like 1

Walton?There was also a stocking of them in sunbury.
  • Like 1

I can see more and more rivers holding them over the coming decade. It might not happen yet, but within two decades we'll have 'ebro' style catfishing I reckon....I really do. back in the 80's kevin Maddocks predicted the catfish would be the fish of the 90's, taking over from the carp. Obviously that didn't happen in that timescale, but it's happening more and more now. It has always been said that the catfish cannot spawn in the Uk rivers due to their temperature, but I think they are found in colder places than the UK, so who knows. How long will be be before people are legering 1lb carp livebait? !! On the river! :victory:

Well a few lads have caught 2 and 3lb Kitts in a water near me that's had no stocking for the last 30yrs

• Like 1

There's a famous albino one around Walton I think

Yes there is mate,chat to the guy in the tackle exchange he is a font of local angling knowledge,the albino cat was around 50lb last time it came out,there was a much bigger standard cat caught near kingston,the thames is an under-rated river.

• Like 1

There's a famous albino one around Walton I think

Yes there is mate,chat to the guy in the tackle exchange he is a font of local angling knowledge,the albino cat was around 50lb last time it came out,there was a much bigger standard cat caught near kingston,the thames is an under-rated river.
You're right the Thames is very under rated chap

Always wanted to catch one eny waters in the north west with them in

Sale water park , Hillside in burnley and borwick off j35 m6 have them . Theres also fellview syndicate near beacon fell

Edited by neil r
  • Like 1

Most people fish for predators with free running rigs because of the lack of resistance . I think it's the change in resistance that's that causes dropped runs but I wouldn't be confident of not getting dropped runs with bolt rigs . Bait wise you could try deads or lives (if allowed) , luncheon meat or liver , lob worm or leaches( if your feeling flush) or boilies and pellet . They will all catch fish but I suspect more cats are caught on boilie and pellet these days