When you have boiled it clean , use peroxide to whiten it ...I use 35% , it can be bought from most chemists ..I put cotten wool over the skull then wrap the whole thing in crape bandage ...( the peroxide goes on the Cotten wool ) ..leave for a couple of days ...WEAR GOOD QUALITY RUBBER GLOVES THE PEROXIDE BURNS ....

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody tried the method of skinning/fleshing and then just leaving for a month in a bucket of water? The soft tissue just rots off. I've played with this method because I found getting off the tendons and ligaments from the base of the skull properly a twat of a job after boiling and boiling for too long to try and soften them weakens the skull.

Anybody tried the method of skinning/fleshing and then just leaving for a month in a bucket of water? The soft tissue just rots off. I've played with this method because I found getting off the tendons and ligaments from the base of the skull properly a twat of a job after boiling and boiling for too long to try and soften them weakens the skull.

Im just doing similar, I hung the skull with flesh on and checked it every now and again, maggots and beetles etc got the flesh and assume the brain. But the pelt remained, so put in a bucket under a down pipe so the water didnt go too bad, all the pelt come away very easily, have dried it out now and will get the peroxide to it. Was more like 2-3 months in the bucket and a couple suspended in a tree.

• Like 1

Im just doing similar, I hung the skull with flesh on and checked it every now and again, maggots and beetles etc got the flesh and assume the brain. But the pelt remained, so put in a bucket under a down pipe so the water didnt go too bad, all the pelt come away very easily, have dried it out now and will get the peroxide to it. Was more like 2-3 months in the bucket and a couple suspended in a tree.

I'm no expert mate but I've found it depends on the ambient temperature. Summer Roe Bucks will clean up a bit faster with it being warmer. Mind the smell though! LOL. I've also wondered about putting a load of Dettol in to help break down the fats quicker but maybe that would slow the decomposition???

Trouble is with leaving out for nature to sort it is that nature has a way for them to go missing

When I lived in Lincs I shot a muntjac Buck that I'm sure was at least a silver medal. I buried in a secure corner of the garden and put some paving slabs on top.

My then girlfriends c**t of a Labrador dug it up and chewed the antlers off...

• Like 1

Trouble is with leaving out for nature to sort it is that nature has a way for them to go missing

When I lived in Lincs I shot a muntjac Buck that I'm sure was at least a silver medal. I buried in a secure corner of the garden and put some paving slabs on top.

A jasus, was no need to dump her over that incident surely. Harsh! Lol

• Like 1

A jasus, was no need to dump her over that incident surely. Harsh! Lol

You're kidding right? A medal head is a medal head...

This is the one I was referring to, coypu.

20160410_174643_zpseeac4i3p.jpg

Edited by Columbo
  • Like 1

This is the one I was referring to, coypu.

20160410_174643_zpseeac4i3p.jpg

Some teeth on that! Do they give the dogs much stick?