Thames Fishing, Not Tidal Areas

It years since I fished the Thames, been on the lakes but now back.

Life and times have changed, round my way they tell me there are 40lb Carp and catfish, as well as the usual suspects.

Problem is I'm not getting much luck.

Hints, tips about Rods, line, hooks, baits, techniques, anything, greatly appreciated.

Also good spots, I have a boat and can go anywhere from Osney Bridge Oxford down to tidal.

Cheers

Good luck with getting people to divulge their spots on the Thames....the guys i know fishing it, wont tell you a thing, and they had some stunning Carp

Tackle wise, i would be on 30lb sinking braid with min 4oz leads to hold bottom, bait wise mixed particle, pellet/tigers/pigeon conditioner/maize hooks look at the Drennan continental boilie hook, strong as fook, rod wise any 3lb T/C will do, you can drop your rigs from your boat, so no need casting, which will help with presentation

Also there's a load a cray fish to deal with so plastic baits, will help, like plastic maize or tigers

As you have a boat you will soon find spots that bank anglers cant access ;)

Hope the above helps :)

Good luck.... :)

• Like 1

Catfish get yourself down to walton or kingston,rare as hens teeth but they are there.

First place I ever fished was Canbury Gardens in Kingston by the outflow from the power station. I don't think was anything but snotties and bleak there in those days.

Catfish get yourself down to walton or kingston,rare as hens teeth but they are there.

First place I ever fished was Canbury Gardens in Kingston by the outflow from the power station. I don't think was anything but snotties and bleak there in those days.

Some very nice fish in kingston,the thames is a great river,theres just been a guy in shepperton caught a 7 lb 10oz chub in his local stretch,i live a short walk from the banks and am always throwing micro-lures in as the water is thick with pike and perch,theres a fishing guide takes clients out onto the kingston/hampton stretches for predatory fish.
  • Like 1

Get yourself over to penton hook marina in lalhem just as the Thames shoots of to the marina there's a lovely little bar that you can regularly pull carp and barbel of.plentybof people know about it and fish it regularly though so it's normally hard to get a rod on

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

I'll be slumming it on the Gin Palace checking out some areas on the Thames a bit later this year!

post-10759-0-76433700-1457894737_thumb.jpg

PS, If anyone knows of some special areas they have been desperate to get at but struggled, give me a shout and we may be able to arrange something for the new season from my boat.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3

I'll be slumming it on the Gin Palace checking out some areas on the Thames a bit later this year!

attachicon.gif337b.jpg

PS, If anyone knows of some special areas they have been desperate to get at but struggled, give me a shout and we may be able to arrange something for the new season from my boat.

I will take you up on that offer... will have a chat, leave it with me ;) lol

• Like 1

337b.jpg

Feck fishing...I'd be bringing migrants in at a grand each on that thing!

• Like 1