What Did I See

Greyman

Hello all I have an interest in birds but am by know means an expert, which is why I thought I would pitch my first query to you guys, I have been doing some work in a cottage on the outskirts of Bristol in the middle of a large wood, I have been finding a few wood pigeon kills on the ground behind the cottage, then the other day a large bird of prey came over the hedge and flew through the trees a few feet above the ground in a simular manner to a sparrow hawk, but this bird looked closer in size to a buzzard, was mostly reddish brown across its back with a blue/grey tail, I have had my trail cameras up for over a week but have not caught site of it, so what did I see, any ideas ? Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Greyman, Like many of our readers have already stated, it sounds very much like a Gos, especially if you are finding Wood Pigeon kills in the vicinity. Keep a watchful eye as they are very elusi

I would say a Gos hawk. But don't take my word for it.   TC

thanks for that lutra we seem to share very simular views on the people meant to be protecting what we love, I really have know interest in walking up a Tarmac path to watch nature from an appointed s

I would say a Gos hawk. But don't take my word for it.

TC

that was what I thought I saw but I wanted to hear someone else say it, as it would be a real rarity around here, thanks for your reply

The way you describe its flying style and size, sounds like a Goshawk.

If you look on Youtube you will see quite a few vids of them flying.

cheers for that Dave, have just spent a pleasant hour watching these magnificent birds, I would say yes that's what I saw, I wish I had seen the underside of the bird as it seems more uniform than the back, also I think the light makes a big difference, the first vid I watched the bird looked the wrong colour, but when I saw one flying in full sunshine, it was a lot more red looking like the one I saw, which was also in bright sunshine, I am now pretty sure I saw a goshawk near to my home in Bristol, which is very exciting to me, thanks to everyone for answering

cheers for that Dave, have just spent a pleasant hour watching these magnificent birds, I would say yes that's what I saw, I wish I had seen the underside of the bird as it seems more uniform than the back, also I think the light makes a big difference, the first vid I watched the bird looked the wrong colour, but when I saw one flying in full sunshine, it was a lot more red looking like the one I saw, which was also in bright sunshine, I am now pretty sure I saw a goshawk near to my home in Bristol, which is very exciting to me, thanks to everyone for answering
Maybe it migrated over from Forest of Dean way,I once saw a red kite over the Somerset levels ,when you think it's not far in straight line,over the Severn river.

Maybe it migrated over from Forest of Dean way,I once saw a red kite over the Somerset levels ,when you think it's not far in straight line,over the Severn river.
as you say only a short hop, but I have been finding patches of feathers on the floor in the same area for 6 months before I saw the bird, so I'm starting to think it may be resident near bye, I have been working for a lady who has a friend in the area that monitors all the local raptors and according to her he would know so I am trying to make contact with him, my other problem is the bird appears to be on or around an area of land owned by a friend of mine and I don't want the bird watching fraternity descending on him as he's in his 80s and a bit reclusive so I have to try not to give to many clues away when I'm telling the story. I have found a family of otters living in the roots of a tree, not far away and I have my trail cameras near them at the mo,but as soon as I have my picky,s I will put them back in the woods were I saw the bird, and as its on private land I can leave them there all summer so hopefully I will get my pics,cheers

funny you said about the red kite, I have been up in Gloucester for the weekend just driving back and I saw a red kite circling over the a38 by thornbury first one of them I've, seen near me as well,
  • Like 1

There are a lot more Goshawks around than most people realise. There have been quite a few released over the years and the wild population is at quite a healthy level.

we have lots of peregrines around me but as far as I know I have never seen a goshawk before, funnily when the first pair of peregrines started breeding in the Avon gorge they built an observation point on the opposite side of the gorge for the twitchers, there used to be around 50 or more people up there watching them now you can walk into the middle of Bristol and there are a pair on the old courage,s building on full show everyday of the week, avonmouth docks near me have around five breeding pairs, it's a good era for raptors
  • Like 1