Starting Out Full Time Moling Advice

I've been trapping moles for about twenty years but only after work or weekends part time

I'm fed up with work and would love to switch to full time trapping

Any advice greatly appreciated

Like how / where to advertise best and making the switch

I'm sure there's enough moles out there for one more full time south east mole trapper ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best advice I can give you is,...'Don't ever work cheap'..... Start as you mean to go on,.....the trapping game has been a good Mistress to me...   Always be professional,....be 100% honest with

Recommendations from others is the best option.   I charge per job or sometimes per visit, with farmers they like to know costs, so tend to charge per visit (depends on time to travel, amount of tra

If your planning on charging by the mole instead of giving a proper quote for the job, don't stick dead moles in the traps, or take along dead moles to con the customer. Too many knobheads already tak

:hmm:Best advice I can give you is,...'Don't ever work cheap'.....

Start as you mean to go on,.....the trapping game has been a good Mistress to me... :yes:

Always be professional,....be 100% honest with the customer,

Practice to become proficient and familiar, with all the various styles of trap at your disposal...

Stay away, from jobs that are not profitable,...pick and choose,...and never be afraid to walk away from a non-earner.

It IS hard at first,...I do know this,...but if ya can hang on in there, until you become established,..it is a great life. :thumbs:

• Like 5

If your planning on charging by the mole instead of giving a proper quote for the job, don't stick dead moles in the traps, or take along dead moles to con the customer. Too many knobheads already taking the piss like this. Makes real mole men look bad through association.

• Like 4

Personally I only do per mole for agricultural. But then iv trimmed my agricultural jobs down to the jobs where I like the land and the farmer and it would take alot for me to take another farm on.

The best advertising is face to face, get out and speak to people.

Recommendations from others is the best option.

I charge per job or sometimes per visit, with farmers they like to know costs, so tend to charge per visit (depends on time to travel, amount of traps put out, profit, etc) but make sure you turn a profit each and every visit.

As Phil said, be honest, reliable, smart and be able to talk to customers

If I am in a new area, and see moles in a garden or field, I leave my calling card. Get quite a bit of extra work. If you have 2 or 3 jobs close by, then profit increases

• Like 5

I've been trapping moles for about twenty years but only after work or weekends part time

I'm fed up with work and would love to switch to full time trapping

Any advice greatly appreciated

Like how / where to advertise best and making the switch

I'm sure there's enough moles out there for one more full time south east mole trapper

Bear in mind, mate,....its not getting any easier, out there (in my opinion). Alot of farmers are moaning, "theres no money in it, now",...cause of 'subsidy' changes,cows,not profitable(or cant shift),milk prices,etc ? A fair few Golf Courses, are suffering financially (falling membership, weather issues,etc),....(im down to attending two now, used to have at least half a dozen, at any one time) & lets not go there again, about the 'cut-throat' competition !,.......But, with your years of experience, behind you,....youve got as good a chance, as any. Also, its not so cut & dry, as far as charging 'what you want' , for a job,....sometimes its a 'fine line' ?,.......cause, if 'what you can get/what they want too pay' ?,..... sometimes, is still enough, to keep your 'head above water' ? lol then, you dont necessarily have too 'knock the job, back'. (i imagine the 'domestic' mole job situation, must be at saturation point now, as well ?) However, i wish you well, & good luck with it.

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 2

I'm sure there's enough moles out there for one more full time south east mole trapper

I’m in the south east mate, and if I miss a call or don’t immediately answer an email someone else will have the job within 5 minutes, so don’t ever think there’s any shortage of molecatchers here, there are more than enough.

Good luck with going full-time, hope it all turns out well.

Another thing is to have a great telephone manner, and be very confident when you speak to customers. Go out and see them face to face rather than giving a price on the phone. Then once you're there you'll practically always get the job. :victory:

There's a load of 'pest controllers' out there, too many in my area now, but the tide is turning and many are giving it up as they cannot make any money, never mind a living. But you'll never know unless you give it a go.... :thumbs:

• Like 4