Hi all, just thought I'd share a few pics of my new canary shed ,

it's an 8x6 ship lap with 4 opening windows .

I have used thermawrap to insulate which cost roughly £60 to do .

there is a few bits left to do ( insulate the door,and cover the windows with aviary mesh ) but im pretty much pleased with how it's come together . post-59809-0-77049800-1457272407_thumb.jpgpost-59809-0-28961200-1457272460_thumb.jpgpost-59809-0-99886800-1457272507_thumb.jpgpost-59809-0-67366400-1457272570_thumb.jpgpost-59809-0-68980400-1457272610_thumb.jpgpost-59809-0-89346500-1457272652_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Don't forget a safety mesh door either :thumbs: ,but that a cracking shed mate and all the very best for the season ahead.....

I myself wouldn't have insulated it as the birds can cope with the british cold and inside the shed they'd be out the wind and rain,but like i say a cracking set up. :victory:

Cheers fireman , the safety door is on mate but not in the pics ( I used one of my aviary panels ) I was advised to insulate it on the colour canary forum to eliminate draughts , it took me awhile to get my head around the idea of having it draught free then having the windows open for fresh air .

before it was a pain cleaning out the cages when they were in the 6x4 shed so nice at the moment having room to move , until I get more cages that is☺☺

• Like 2

You were right to be warned about draughts mate as they are one of birds biggest killers,but wind as such is ok.One to get your head around for sure :blink: ,but understandable when thought when a bird is sat in a cage and can't get out of it it soon sucks the warmth out of them.I see your in north essex and just to let you know in swaffham next sunday there's a bigish native show that has a few native birds for sale and the following weekend(20th march) it's the east of england bird sale(it used to be at norwish show ground) at the same place which is the TA center :victory: ...

You know what I've never thought about that,you keep birds in a house so why not a shed,I discarded the idea of aviary because of the cats ,rats an sparrowhawks lol

Though out of interest ,why windows and not just have the shed door open with safety door shut.?

Sheds can get very hot during the summer months and in the colder months draughts or concentrated winds(like a open door or windo can produce) can knock birds for 6 very easily,my old boy neighbour has a couple of 6x4 sheds with one wall cut out and mesh put in place,he keeps some sort of small parroty things but simular would suit any native pair a treat..

pellet gun,a few tunnel traps and bait boxes sort out any vermin problems i have :thumbs: ..

• Like 1

Thanks fireman , I might try to get to the one in Norwich I'm working this weekend unfortunately shame it wasn't easter weekend as I'm going to the inlays near Norwich then .

I opted for 4 opening windows as I could hopefully control the airflow easier on nice days the door will be open as well as the windows ☺ toying with the idea of either a flight 2x6 flight in the shed or a 3x6 flight on the shed to the right of the cream door in the pic would mean taking the wife's decking up though

• Like 1

Thanks fireman , I might try to get to the one in Norwich I'm working this weekend unfortunately shame it wasn't easter weekend as I'm going to the inlays near Norwich then .

The sale is also in swafham on the 20th at the TA center,worth getting there before 10 as it gets packed and the early bird gets the worm and all that :thumbs: ..

It used to be at the show ground but has moved to swafham...

• 1 month later...

There could be a variety of reasons the eggs were broke, the two that come to mind are that one, if a hen's nails are overgrown they can pierce the egg when the hen is getting on and off the nest and two if the hen has a calcium deficiency she may eat the eggs.. Is the cock bird in with her? He could be the culprit breaking the eggs to drive her to nest again but this is usually not the case with canaries, it can happen with natives though. I've had chaffie cocks that threw the young out of the nest to drive the hen back down....