Washed Pellets

Now I'm not one of those fellas that cleans his barrel through very often at all and I don't intend to start now but........I decided I would wash my already open tin of jsb exacts to see what kind of difference it made to trajectory/accuracy etc as I have never cleaned pellets or barrel.

I am amazed at the results too.

I don't have any pics but I was shooting rested from the kitchen window at an ivy leaf on a tree trunk at the bottom of the garden at 33 yards.

Before washing, I was hitting the leaf no problem with a 5p group....no surprise there from the hw but after washing, the point of impact was 1.2 inches higher!

A quick re zero and it was 4 pellets through the same hole and the 5th still touching the hole.

The increased accuracy is great but it's the point of impact that amazed me more. I will have to chrony again but washing your pellets shows they fly flatter and therefore faster than straight from the tin.

I'm sure most of you lads are already fully aware of this but I was a bit sceptical at first until I tried it.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

How did you wash them?

Warm soapy liquid, same as davyt on verminhunters on youtube.

How did you wash them?

:thumbs:

I don't get the cleaning improving things much, if at all, I'm wondering if the soap acts as a lubricant, I'm wondering if the same could be achieved with the likes of lube, or simply a bit of detergent.

I'll get the full lowdown on the process from davy next time I see him.

Have you checked the energy before and after yet?

Cheers

How did you wash them?

I don't get the cleaning improving things much, if at all, I'm wondering if the soap acts as a lubricant, I'm wondering if the same could be achieved with the likes of lube, or simply a bit of detergent.

Cheers

Yes. Its still a relatively new rifle with less than 1000 pellets through it yet but before, the chrony read from 769 to 781 over 14 shots and after washing but no lube it read 780 to 785 over 14 shots no lube with jsb exacts 4.52 8.44grn, same temp, same conditions, same fill pressures so it may have altered things a wee bit. Whats your opinion pal?

How did you wash them?

Cheers

Yes. Its still a relatively new rifle with less than 1000 pellets through it yet but before, the chrony read from 769 to 781 over 14 shots and after washing but no lube it read 780 to 785 over 14 shots no lube with jsb exacts 4.52 8.44grn, same temp, same conditions, same fill pressures so it may have altered things a wee bit. Whats your opinion pal?

I don't know is the honest answer.

I tried this washing malarkey many years ago, felt like a complete monkey and after all the effort found no noticeable difference.

I've known Davy for the best part of 10 years, he can shoot a bit and I don't see him wasting his time if he doesn't think it helps, I'll drill him on this one next time I see him.

Yes it seemed like a big poi difference but i checked and checked. It may seem like a faf but for the sake of washing them in soapy water for 5 mins and a good hair dry its not too bad. I know its not for everyone but if im getting good results doing one thing then its got to worth doing pal. The gap in fps may open up with 50 or so shots through the chrony but a 5fps difference isnt bad at all over 14.

Sometimes i think i should just experiment less and just shoot more

Haha I say the same to myself all the time. I think you have opened up something good though. The only discussion about washing pellets I've seen is what people think it does rather than what it does. What would be awesome is chrony data downrange. I think you could prove something with that. I've only got a chrombro so I'm out lol

Haha I say the same to myself all the time. I think you have opened up something good though. The only discussion about washing pellets I've seen is what people think it does rather than what it does. What would be awesome is chrony data downrange. I think you could prove something with that. I've only got a chrombro so I'm out lol

Funny you should say that. I borrowed an f1 today looking forward to some testing after work.....got in....set a rest and backstop....charged the rifle ....filled the mag...opened up the bag with the chrony only to find no wires in the bag so that was the end of that!!

• Like 1