Washed Pellets

Now I'm not one of those fellas that cleans his barrel through very often at all and I don't intend to start now but........I decided I would wash my already open tin of jsb exacts to see what kind of difference it made to trajectory/accuracy etc as I have never cleaned pellets or barrel.

I am amazed at the results too.

I don't have any pics but I was shooting rested from the kitchen window at an ivy leaf on a tree trunk at the bottom of the garden at 33 yards.

Before washing, I was hitting the leaf no problem with a 5p group....no surprise there from the hw but after washing, the point of impact was 1.2 inches higher!

A quick re zero and it was 4 pellets through the same hole and the 5th still touching the hole.

The increased accuracy is great but it's the point of impact that amazed me more. I will have to chrony again but washing your pellets shows they fly flatter and therefore faster than straight from the tin.

I'm sure most of you lads are already fully aware of this but I was a bit sceptical at first until I tried it.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

Food for thought... can't quite get out yet because of the op so i'm passing the time pellet testing and sticking them through the chrono..blah blah..

Noticed a few different pellets leave an oily lube on my fingertips and others dont. Noticed cleaning barrel tightened groups. Shall investigate this.

Got the time at the moment.

• Like 1

Food for thought... can't quite get out yet because of the op so i'm passing the time pellet testing and sticking them through the chrono..blah blah..

Noticed a few different pellets leave an oily lube on my fingertips and others dont. Noticed cleaning barrel tightened groups. Shall investigate this.

Got the time at the moment.

I saw a clip on you tube of washing them and adding a quick spray of pellet lube too. I didn't add the lube or clean the barrel and still got what I consider impressive results. It might not work for everyone and some might not believe in doing it but as far as tightening the group and flattening the flight path, it's worked for me.
  • Like 1

funny things guns.. best pellet ive found for mine is the rws superfields 4.51 up to 33-34 yards. AA diabolo field 4.51 next ( slightly better than the 4.52 )..followed by the AA express. Worst was the jsb exact 4.53 and the H&N FTT. Will try washing the jsb and H&N and see what happens.

funny things guns.. best pellet ive found for mine is the rws superfields 4.51 up to 33-34 yards. AA diabolo field 4.51 next ( slightly better than the 4.52 )..followed by the AA express. Worst was the jsb exact 4.53 and the H&N FTT. Will try washing the jsb and H&N and see what happens.

the jsb exacts were 4.52 as my hw likes them, I've not tried 4.53 in it.

• Like 1

I did try washing, sorting and weighing a few tins of AA fields a couple of years ago whilst biding time after a bout of major back surgery. I must admit I struggled to believe the amount of crud that came off the damn things (if they sold pellets by weight I would have said they were pulling a fast one :D ) the only problem is I never got the chance to test fire them by virtue of the fact I managed to drop the lot of them on to a brick floor when I was staggering back to my work bench!!!! Never realised how soft fields were until then, I reckon I visibly bent the skirts on at least 90% of them :( at least it passed a bit of time, live and learn I suppose? ;)

• Like 1

Matt, I like your findings but you might want to check what they are doing on a chrono... 1.2 inches higher is probably a good bit higher power

Im with you on that one pal. Having it checked later on.

• Like 1

For what it's worth.. (u lads will know this already ) I only found out recently that chronoing in a nice warm house and then doing the same tests outside there's quite a bit of difference in the power..some pellets were reading 12.20ft/lbs but dropped by half a ft/lb when i let everything acclimatize outside (had me a bit worried to be honest)

Now I'm not one of those fellas that cleans his barrel through very often at all and I don't intend to start now but........I decided I would wash my already open tin of jsb exacts to see what kind of difference it made to trajectory/accuracy etc as I have never cleaned pellets or barrel.

I am amazed at the results too.

I don't have any pics but I was shooting rested from the kitchen window at an ivy leaf on a tree trunk at the bottom of the garden at 33 yards.

Before washing, I was hitting the leaf no problem with a 5p group....no surprise there from the hw but after washing, the point of impact was 1.2 inches higher!

A quick re zero and it was 4 pellets through the same hole and the 5th still touching the hole.

The increased accuracy is great but it's the point of impact that amazed me more. I will have to chrony again but washing your pellets shows they fly flatter and therefore faster than straight from the tin.

I'm sure most of you lads are already fully aware of this but I was a bit sceptical at first until I tried it.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

How did you wash them?