Ferret Hutch Design Ideas?

For hutches I'd say it's best to have them open at the top. This helps a little when trying to keep the ferrets inside the cage while you open it for whatever reason. They can be good climbers so it's not full proof... certainly helps when the mesh doesn't run to the very top as that's an easy climb. Having said that you will never be able to fully clean a hutch that only opens from the top so other methods of entry are needed for the clean outs.

For outdoor runs you want them to be tall enough to walk in. If its a small lightweight run them it should be easy to lift/move. Massively helps with cleaning among other chores. If its a big run you only need a little nest box for sleeping quarters. If you decide to build very tall you may need to add something to the outer mesh to stop them climbing - perspex or a section of wood works. I wouldn't want them to fall more than 3 feet - 4 max (Although they do learn how to 'slide' down, If you want to try without). Ferrets handle the cold well but drafts should definitely be avoided - keep that in mind when designing the nest area!

Mesh toilets are a great idea. I always admired my local gamekeeper for it when young. But there is a layer of crap that accumulates on the mesh and side walls over time, which still needs washed out. Can be done with a good hosing for the most part but for OCD people, that's a scrubbing mission!

I designed and built a great indoor cage that I had in the out house. PM me for photos and info if you want. opened at the top but once open, all the panels could be lifted out for easy cleaning.

Edited by ZeusPolecat

I know it probably doesn't seem all that helpful, but I'd suggest going for something as big as possible - however big you make it, it won't be too big. Decide how much room in your garden you're prepared to give over to the ferrets, and how much you're prepared to spend on materials, then just go for it. Mine's done in an L shape -

attachicon.gifferret cage.jpg

attachicon.gifferret cage2.jpg

The 3 tier section's 111/2 ft long and just over 2 ft deep and the 2 tier L is 7ft long and 31/2ft wide. Each floor's linked to the one above/below by a length of pipe running the full length of the floor. The bottom right of the 3 tier section's joined to the top back part of the 2 tier L by a piece of pipe that spirals up through each floor. Their sleeping box is in the top left and I feed them and have their water bottles (which you can't see 'cos they're on the other side) in the bottom front bit of the L. So to get from one to the other they have to travel a total of about 85 - 90ft. Keeps them fit :thumbs:

If you end up going a bit crazy like I did just make sure you've got enough doors to be able to access all areas - nothing worse than trying to clean up an area you can't quite reach!

Only trouble with my setup is that I'm well and truly fecked if I ever decide to move house :laugh: :laugh:

Right first off good set up mate now someone call the scaffold police coz your spures are to flat all they are doing is adding weight not transferring it and you are a lot more than 300mm from the node point haha Edited by leethedog
  • Like 1

Cheers for the feedback guys, some great ideas. Not been online for a while so time of an update.

Was given an old hutch yesterday, It will do as a stopgap but am going ahead with my self build soon, all I need now is some mesh and felt.

A polecat hob is also on the cards, that is if its still around as like I said not been online for a week or so.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/345998-feretopia/?fromsearch=1

this was the thread and then I didnt carry it on. will have to get tape out and measure up but its about 5ft tall and 5ft wide. each level about 2ft high 2ft deep.....roughly of top of my head.

sorry and im not takin the piss but Im not sure on 'how may is it to house'?

• 2 months later...