Ferret Hutch Design Ideas?

Hi guys, got my eyes out for a second hand hutch ready for when I get my first ferret. Just been nosing around in the garden and have more than enough timber to make one by the looks of it, even have a 8x4 marine ply board in the the junk room for the roof n floor.

Could do with some suggestions regarding the best design.

Was thinking of making a two tier hutch around 4ft in length with the run build under the hutch. Not sure what the rest of the dimensions should be in terms of hight and depth.

Will also need to get mesh, what mesh size is best and any suggestions where to get it?

I'm hoping to start with a single hob but would like the hutch to be big enough to accommodate a possible second ferret in the future.

I know it probably doesn't seem all that helpful, but I'd suggest going for something as big as possible - however big you make it, it won't be too big. Decide how much room in your garden you're prepared to give over to the ferrets, and how much you're prepared to spend on materials, then just go for it. Mine's done in an L shape -

post-92720-0-63421200-1457087075_thumb.jpg

post-92720-0-17268300-1457087089_thumb.jpg

The 3 tier section's 111/2 ft long and just over 2 ft deep and the 2 tier L is 7ft long and 31/2ft wide. Each floor's linked to the one above/below by a length of pipe running the full length of the floor. The bottom right of the 3 tier section's joined to the top back part of the 2 tier L by a piece of pipe that spirals up through each floor. Their sleeping box is in the top left and I feed them and have their water bottles (which you can't see 'cos they're on the other side) in the bottom front bit of the L. So to get from one to the other they have to travel a total of about 85 - 90ft. Keeps them fit :thumbs:

If you end up going a bit crazy like I did just make sure you've got enough doors to be able to access all areas - nothing worse than trying to clean up an area you can't quite reach!

Only trouble with my setup is that I'm well and truly fecked if I ever decide to move house :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 8

Thanks fellas. I must admit although I do have moments when I wonder what on earth I was thinking when I built it, when I watch them playing around with so much space I don't regret it. I'll try and get a vid up over the w/e of them charging the full 90ft at feeding time - it's quite entertaining.