Birds "please Add Yours"

13 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Is he still about Arry ?

He is mate but he disappears for a while then turns up again. think somebody else is feeding him as well.

I am fond of the Robins they have sort of a kingship with humans following them around in case you disturb something. Often follow us around out ferreting and you keep catching them in the corner of your eye while your wait for a rabbit to bolt.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great photos already.   These are some of my favorites I have taken                 Grey Wagtail   Kestrel

Had a bit of luck today. SD.

Short eared owl       Great spotted woodpecker     Nuthatch    

Posted Images

On 08/08/2023 at 13:50, Arry said:

He is mate but he disappears for a while then turns up again. think somebody else is feeding him as well.

I am fond of the Robins they have sort of a kingship with humans following them around in case you disturb something. Often follow us around out ferreting and you keep catching them in the corner of your eye while your wait for a rabbit to bolt.

Cheers Arry

Sadly over the last week or two there’s been a great decline in birds visiting the feeders including the robin who use to visit the veg patch , can only think that avian flu has struck ☹️

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Sadly over the last week or two there’s been a great decline in birds visiting the feeders including the robin who use to visit the veg patch , can only think that avian flu has struck ☹️

Still getting some birds in but as you say its dropped off. Think the fledglings are finding their own territory and the parents are not feed late broods. Black birds have dropped right off after their second brood. think it might be that lets hope so mate.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
On 11/08/2023 at 12:42, steve66 said:

Sadly  i have not seen any Kingfishers on  the near river to me,on my walk i know of 4 nesting sites on the river bank one at least 8yrs old.Black headed gulls and Canada geese dead near me  also on the news loads of dead birds being washed up on different coasts maybe wind turbines to blame  with birds flying into them,so sad oh adult hedgehog in our garden first one for many years .

• Like 1

Thought the same regarding garden feeders, then I thought that there is an abundance of natural foods for them at the moment?

Kingfishers I cant remember the last time I saw one always been a rarity around here .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

Beautiful bird his feet and legs don't look top cracking. Normally chaffys are shy birds too. That might of been a captive bred bird that's got out looks very tame 

That will be either papillomavirus the other is a a mite. The mite is caused by dirty mouldy bird feeders as a general rule mate. 

1.png

4.png

6.png

10 hours ago, paulus said:

That will be either papillomavirus the other is a a mite. The mite is caused by dirty mouldy bird feeders as a general rule mate. 

1.png

4.png

6.png

Poor buggers a tell my neighbours over the road to makesure they clean there feeders on a weekly basis because that's how avian flu is spread too. Birds having contact with other birds too that they normally wouldn't out in the wild. They wouldn't brush up next to each other say a goldfinch and a chaffinch if it wasn't for a feeder. It's only because there's food on the tap that they come close to each other. It's sad when you think about it that we may be causing more harm than good when feeding them specially now. Same like you say with mite. If a bird has mite it's got more chance of passing them on by brushing upto another species on a feeder haven't they.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...