Birds "please Add Yours"

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Do you just olace the road kill somewhere suitable an put camera on it? That simple?

Yes mate, attached a good size perch/branch to a stake/post, cable tied pheasant to perch, open pheasant up to display meat/guts, placed a £3 Wilko close prop about 5ft away and attached trailcam to it - simple...

I was hoping for buzzards but without success....

I know at least 2 pairs of Tawny’s are in the area but never known them to feed off pheasants although in a different location I did the same but with rabbits and had a Tawny come in for 3 nights in a row for a good feed...

I use the trailcams to help me with my photography, to find what’s about and what’s active etc - does all the donkey work for me..

• Thanks 1

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great photos already.   These are some of my favorites I have taken                 Grey Wagtail   Kestrel

Had a bit of luck today. SD.

Short eared owl       Great spotted woodpecker     Nuthatch    

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Couple winters ago I saw a tawny an a barn owl eating roadkill on sale night, was a few nights into a snow spell an the tawny was on a rabbit an barn owl on a pheasant, I sure I mentioned it on here, think I could get them coming to a feed perch regular? Just keep putting rats an rabbits there?  I gonna give it a bash. ?

It’s very interesting behaviour- more so feeding off the pheasant...

Yes, once they find an easy food source they’ll more than likely return if put out in same place regularly especially in rainy and cold spells...

I’ve done it with frozen mice from the pet shop but proved quite expensive at £1 each and the magpies soon cottoned on to a free meal if input them out in daylight,I had to go every night which ended up being a chore... 

You get many owls on your farms/permissions ???  I’m always on the look out for locations to photograph them and don’t mind an hour or so drive...

Tried photographing badgers at a sett last spring but don’t think they had any cubs as always coming out just after sunset - often if they have cubs they’ll come out in early evening and let the cubs play and exercise.. 

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Have you tried the grass trick? When I used to go out night watching with a mate he could bring owls to within a few feet of us just by rubbing two blades of grass together.

That’s a new one on me but may just give it a go... I take it the blades of grass make a mouse like squeak ???

Basically, yes. I have partial deafness and so can't hear the noise that the grass makes, but he said it resembled a mouse squeaking. He took two fairly wide blades of grass and rubbed them together for a few seconds, resting for a second or two and then resuming for a few seconds. Some of the owls came within a few feet of us. Mainly tawnys but that could be down to us being in or near woodland watching the pheasant roosts.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Farm I work on an the roads in an out are full of owls mate, tawny an barns an odd little owl of you about in day you see a few about on the walls an the arable fields on lamp haha pretty much see them every night but it would be great to get them coming somewhere regular. I gonna give it a bash. If you ever down this way let me know an I clear it so you can have w mooch about but like I said even a drive along the lanes an you see barn owls on the fence posts an tawnys sat in tree above the roads ? have w look on google earth at the land around pen hill leyburn mates if you ever fancy it let me know an I sort it for you. Can’t promise you perfect pics tho haha lighter nights be in soon tho an the barn owls are seen most nights ghosting about the moor which is public I’m sure?

Nice one pal, that’s a cracking offer and I will have to organise a day when the lighter nights start kicking in and the owls are more active as should be starting to feed up for breeding season about now...

Lets know how you get on with bait and trailcam ?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, peterhunter86 said:

I'd say you get some variety of birds at your feeders, I get a lot of goldfinches there does be 30 or 40 at a time

saying that i have had a few different varieties on the feeders which is enjoyable to watch....the goldfinch is a lovely looking bird you must be well chuffed having that many at your feeders....i know i would be.....