Totally gutted - went to check my bees at the weekend and the colony has perished. I only started last year and it's quite demoralising to have lost them when I can't see what more I could have done. They've still got at least 4 14x12 frames of capped honey stored and never touched the feed I gave them and there were good signs of life a month ago before our run of bad, windy weather.

Just spoke to a local bee keeping supplier to put my name down for a colony and he says I'm not alone and a lot of people are in the same boat this year. Hopefully you lads on here have faired better than I have!

Anyway - If anyone has a spare colony they are looking to sell please PM me - i'd be very interested.

I didn't bother with fondant as I didn't rob them in the autumn and just gave them a winter syrup mix - That's a hard lesson to learn. They were possibly a bit exposed to the bad weather we had a few weeks ago and I was going to move them this year - their positioning was dictated by the farmer which wasn't necessarily as good as it could have been.

Properly pissed off about it!

I've brought the hive back and given it a good look over - no sign of infection / paracites although you can never really tell for sure. Looks like one moment they were in a cluster with several workers going about their chores and the next they were all dead.

There are about 5/6 14/12 frames full of capped honey in the brood box - is the worth 'harvesting' or should I leave it for a new colony I need to try and get hold of?

thats bad news matt! bees are something im thinking about in a couple of years once i find a mentor ! when you say not the best position for the hive how exposed was it ?the reason i ask is were trying to rent a we bit of extra ground and thats quite exposed i was thinking of making some willow or hazel hurdles to put up for shelter for them coming in and out whilst hedges were getting established ,ive not spoken to anyone yet about how much shelter is needed its all just in my head at the moment !

Moxy. glad your doing well with your bees, how many you got now.

Cheers pal. I've the super colony I got off your good self and another 2 smaller colonies. Which should hopefully do well this year.

I'm set up to take another 2 come swarming but if I get my finger out of my arse and into the workshop I maybe able to take on a further 2.

It's a pity your not closer..!!! Matt. I would have gladly sorted you with a swarm come the time.

Very kind of you all the same Moxy mate.

I'm kicking myself about the hive placement Devon - it was on the west facing side of a large barn exposed to the south westerlies which they would have got in spades a few weeks ago, to the left of the hive was a big crab apple tree so they didn't get the sun until 1am - really not ideal.

I'm going to present a couple of better options although it will involve me getting stuck in with the strimmer and chainsaw first to improve the site first. Hopefully he'll see it as improving the land without any cost to himself... Most farmers I know are normally up for a bit of free labour and a bargain!