If you're in a rush to get finished, I would look for sawn 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" stakes from a sawmill or timber merchant because they are likely to have them in stock. Could even mix them in with stakes cut from the hedge. If the stakes are at 18" spaces for binding, you'll need loads and it pays to cut down on waste.

Another way to look at it, is to get the hedge laid and do the stakes and binders when you have them. That way, all the cutting is done before the hedge starts to produce buds.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to a lot of hedging without stakes, just use lots of baling string to tie it all together in a long sausage shape, it doesn't look nearly as neat as stakes and binders but makes a passable hedge non the less. All the stumps and pleachers sprout out just same, when it greens up you wouldn't know. That said if you can get stakes use them. Keep in mind if you use willow for the stakes they are all going to grow.

I used to a lot of hedging without stakes, just use lots of baling string to tie it all together in a long sausage shape, it doesn't look nearly as neat as stakes and binders but makes a passable hedge non the less. All the stumps and pleachers sprout out just same, when it greens up you wouldn't know. That said if you can get stakes use them. Keep in mind if you use willow for the stakes they are all going to grow.

...and hazel too sometimes. I used some to make a hazel fence around the bantams at the back of my garden and some of them rooted!