Old Timers

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i am now a lot older than the men i classed as old timers when i started , many of the big names around my area where poor terriermen , the only good thing about some was they could use a spade ! i we

Im surprised and sad at the old diggers getting knocked,especially by some older lads on here.I started digging in 1967 with hairy arse Country men some were my own family.These old timers were no foo

I've always said it and a lot of lads disagree with me, but, there's a better stamp of terrier and a better stamp of terrierman now than in the past. Plus, most of the laws we have now restricting te

Posted Images

I for one hate bolts as well as terriers that arnt up with their fox therefore allowing that bolt .If a terrier has first contact mid tube then a bolt is sometimes unavoidable as well as a lengthy run round in a big place BUT if your dog has worked the fox for a while in a stop then it bolts ,the dog has moved off allowing the fox past .Some think its a good dog for saving the digging and allowing a bolt ,personally i think its an inferior dog but just my unassuming humble opinion as always .

• Like 2

Well if its in a stopend and charlie passes they can sugarcoat it what ever way they like its a terrible fault for a terrier to have, for me the terrier aint working if that's the case he is just farting about. (Lightweights) harsh but true charlie should never pass only feel pressure pressure pressure if he knows the terrier aint going to hurt him just yap charlie is a clever animal and cop to this quickly and challenge his opponent and may pass but if mr terrier comes in a kicks the arse of him and put the fear of god into him surely its a different story, We all differ on this but that's my opinion. No point throwing punches if they don't land.

• Like 4

i had a wee russell xlakie that would do that FD. she really had a knack for bolting foxes. i seen with my own eyes when she would coax a fox forward baying and driving at it. when the fox pushed forward she would move a little back she was quick and would strike at the fox and step back also. untill the fox had the chance to bolt down a side tube' or in a wider erea she let them past her. i once saw one go over the top of her. as a digging dog she was a cull. but for bolting foxes she was a godsend. for the purist digging lads its an unforgivable sin and i understand there reasoning.

this would be put down to cowardice but i swear this little bitch knew what the plan was and was out as fast as the fox. the only bite she took whilst with me was when she got netted up alongside her foe lol. she was 10 inch tts and about twelve pounds. there is more than one way to skin a cat :yes:

• Like 4

i had a wee russell xlakie that would do that FD. she really had a knack for bolting foxes. i seen with my own eyes when she would coax a fox forward baying and driving at it. when the fox pushed forward she would move a little back she was quick and would strike at the fox and step back also. untill the fox had the chance to bolt down a side tube' or in a wider erea she let them past her. i once saw one go over the top of her. as a digging dog she was a cull. but for bolting foxes she was a godsend. for the purist digging lads its an unforgivable sin and i understand there reasoning.

this would be put down to cowardice but i swear this little bitch knew what the plan was and was out as fast as the fox. the only bite she took whilst with me was when she got netted up alongside her foe lol. she was 10 inch tts and about twelve pounds. there is more than one way to skin a cat :yes:

What for instance if the fox decided he was not in a hurry to bolt,would the bitch stay with him or come away,not picking as you probab;ly had loads of foxs with her in double quick time but if she moved with her fox and it didnt bolt how were you going to dig to her as each time you wpould come close the fox would surely put more presure on and the bitch would move with it again,as said a handy tool for bolting but for the long haul maybe not.

• Like 1

A good dog no matter how hard and experienced the Fox, won't make a tap of noise if the Fox tries to get passed the dog, and if the Fox has him then the same thing, even when the Fox has full advantage sitting up on the dog, the dog loves it,

• Like 1

But on the other hand I wouldn't be into a wreck less dog that just goes in to get destroyed. I also like the dog who sounds, Barking, when it's up on it's game, some quietness and when it might be pushing his game or the game is trying to dig on or move, dog has to be fully aware, no half heartedness

• Like 1

Yes [BANNED TEXT] she was a coward

As for the old timers good and bad I expect,in these more enlightened times with locators etc etc there's no excuse for the modern day terrier man not to work to the highest standards possable.no excuses for two or three dogs to groung though accidents can and do happen.

Edited by downsview

My old man kept a line of jrts in the 80s that were out an out bayers. More often than not they would bolt the fox which working alongside lurchers wasn't a problem. The last of this line was lost to ground at age 11 in truth she dropped in at a local wood by accident in a place that had rock piles. It took my dad and uncle and various friends 3 days to dig her out, day one she was heard baying, day 2 she had no voice left but could be heard day 3 not a sound. When they eventually broke through she was sadly dead next to her also dead quarry. My point being this bitch had worked all her life generally bolting stuff often in places which digging would be problematic, some would say she was not upo scratch but at the time she was invaluable and IMO it's not fair to call such a dog a cowArd. I am not a digging man, I was about 5 when the bitch above jess died, not long followed by her sister Jill and that was enough (I am not ashamed to admit) to put me off the game as it did my old man if he is honest.

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 2

The trueth is rarely fair,its sad to loose a valued working dog there's no doubt to that and I wouldn't tell someone what dogs to keep but different people require or desire different things ,

Its a lot rarer to find a good staying digging dog that wont be pushed than to find a bolter.

• Like 1