Temptation

TOM HEAVY

did i just read someone saying you can train a terrier not to go to ground ? the world's gone mad ! try selling that litter TERRIER'S FOR SALE, THESE DOG'S WILL NOT GO TO GROUND...good luck with that ! even plummer's ..some of them , will go to ground. it 's what earth dog's do !

a mate dug six foot deep to a cocker spaniel, i know of beagle/spaniel that have been dug too, i have owned beagles and griffon's that went to ground , a mates 21" bully whippety thing bolted from a tight earth .. i read of a corgi that was used as a earth dog ..the list goes on, if you want dog's that will not go to ground you'd have to breed from dog's with no inclination such has my griffon bitch who won't even go past the entrance

' train a terrier not to go to ground i've never head the like's of it ' goooooaaannn wid ya self !

Plummers go to ground? Don't talk soft

hard to believe aint it

Depends if you're someone who's seen one work or someone who talks about them.

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work cockers , which are good to beat and shoot over but as bashers to lurchers are limited . They rely too much on instruction, add a terrier / cocker x and they hunt and hold the line better imo.

Posted Images

Never seen one work a plummer terrier ,but would it be a breed that you'd get with the intention of ground work,are they reliable enough to do that job?.

My only experience of them is at game fairs ,where they seem quite argumentative.

Nice looking dogs though.

Never seen one work a plummer terrier ,but would it be a breed that you'd get with the intention of ground work,are they reliable enough to do that job?.

My only experience of them is at game fairs ,where they seem quite argumentative.

9 out of 10 at game fairs are show rubbish,don't make the mistake of thinking all Plummers are like that,there are working lines, WM

Getting a Plummer terrier for earth work when there are well bred black terriers about would be like getting a whippet for running hares...

It might do the job. But there's better stuff about to take the gamble on IMO.

My bitch is supposedly out of a hard dog which is worked by a terrier man who knows the terrier job. But as said if I wanted a dog strictly for earth work I would go for something bred out of generations of earth dogs.

My Plummer drops below, sometimes inconveniently, other times when asked. She will also come away when told if i can see her about to drop in. It suits me down to the ground, no pun intended. I really wouldn't ask for more.

She's the best bushing dog I've been out with, although not seen as many as some lads will have seen and she is as steady as my lurchers.

As for argumentative, I've heard it too. But mine isn't and I'm sure plenty aren't if bred from the right stock. She retrieves rabbits to hand and is not possessive of her catch, she has never started a fight, although she won't back down if another dog starts something.

Maybe I've got a good one. But I would like to think she's not alone in the world of show bred Plummer shite.

• Like 1

Same with anything I think Jok. Lots of shit about out there with any type. Lots of bad experiences get the breed tarred with one brush too.

I've seen the annoying yappy useless types at the shows myself. They're a different breed to the workers though.

Shame more lads don't work them and breed the good ones. But they might not suit everyone.

9 out of 10 at game fairs are show rubbish,don't make the mistake of thinking all Plummers are like that,there are working lines, WM

Getting a Plummer terrier for earth work when there are well bred black terriers about would be like getting a whippet for running hares...

It might do the job. But there's better stuff about to take the gamble on IMO.

My bitch is supposedly out of a hard dog which is worked by a terrier man who knows the terrier job. But as said if I wanted a dog strictly for earth work I would go for something bred out of generations of earth dogs.

My Plummer drops below, sometimes inconveniently, other times when asked. She will also come away when told if i can see her about to drop in. It suits me down to the ground, no pun intended. I really wouldn't ask for more.

She's the best bushing dog I've been out with, although not seen as many as some lads will have seen and she is as steady as my lurchers.

As for argumentative, I've heard it too. But mine isn't and I'm sure plenty aren't if bred from the right stock. She retrieves rabbits to hand and is not possessive of her catch, she has never started a fight, although she won't back down if another dog starts something.

Maybe I've got a good one. But I would like to think she's not alone in the world of show bred Plummer shite.

As I say the only plummers I've ever seen are at shows.

Not knocking them as I've always had "more conventional" terriers either lakelands, black dogs or Russell's.

Just wondering if they do that role to a fair level ,to ever consider one ,or whether it's a bonus ,or not ,that they will do below ground work.

And as I don't do digging dogs much these days if they were reliable NOT to go to ground,

As a dog that chooses when it wants to go is worse than one that always does ,or never does if you get me

Edited to say....even worse if they go under for rabbits

just wondered if they are to be trusted bushing ,off the lead.

If they are going to ground ,especially on rabbits.

I mean if a dog consistently goes to ground,it can be managed .....as a digging dog . But if it goes once in a while ,it can get sticky.

I know dogs small enough will go if on hot scent.

As I say as dog that does it now and then is worse than a dog that never does or does all the time.

My Russell could be trusted around rabbit holes and would Mark,but would stay on other stuff ,

• Like 1

I mean if a dog consistently goes to ground,it can be managed .....as a digging dog . But if it goes once in a while ,it can get sticky.

As I say as dog that does it now and then is worse than a dog that never does or does all the time.

My Russell could be trusted around rabbit holes and would Mark,but would stay on other stuff ,

A dog what does all the time would certainly be worse for me than a dog what does now and again.

She drops now and again. But I can live with it.

Like I said in PM mate some wouldn't feed her. She's worth her weight in gold to me though.

• Like 2

A dog what does all the time would certainly be worse for me than a dog what does now and again.

Like I said in PM mate some wouldn't feed her. She's worth her weight in gold to me though.

she only has to please you so all's good .

Wasn't knocking the breed ,just genuinely interested how you'd get on with them getting to ground ,as I have had crosses go to ground and unless you want a digging dog ,I can be a mare :thumbs: :thumbs:

she only has to please you so all's good .

Wasn't knocking the breed ,just genuinely interested how you'd get on with them getting to ground ,as I have had crosses go to ground and unless you want a digging dog ,I can be a mare :thumbs: :thumbs:

I know you weren't knocking them fella. It can be a problem no doubt. But one I can manage.

I've been toying with going down the route of large busher stroke small lurcher.

A mate of mine is planning a litter out of 2 dogs which are both 20" tts and solid built. They would struggle to get below ground but both bush well for their size.

Something like this might be worth a shot. But then I doubt they will get where the smaller terriers get.