Temptation

TOM HEAVY

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work cockers , which are good to beat and shoot over but as bashers to lurchers are limited . They rely too much on instruction, add a terrier / cocker x and they hunt and hold the line better imo.

Posted Images

Tom, the ears on a cocker or cross would get hammered in the heavy cover I work and at 650 it would be a costly mistake,a decent terrier with either russell or Plummer in it would do the job for you,it would get down any runs in cover easily and able to bush steadily all year round,I get out everyday bushing and my terriers smash any cover without damage,nettles are not a problem either,Gaz has been lucky with his Plummer in that it has some decent breeding in its paperwork but most are not of this standard,if you need any info on what lines to buy then pm me but a cross would do you and a third of the price,WM

• Like 3

I work cockers , which are good to beat and shoot over but as bashers to lurchers are limited .

They rely too much on instruction, add a terrier / cocker x and they hunt and hold the line better imo.

Most cockers aren't as highly strung as most springers I've found.

My cock russel is a pleasure to work be it ratting bashing or beating.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cracker that Treehands, my sort of busher. ;)

I work cockers , which are good to beat and shoot over but as bashers to lurchers are limited .

They rely too much on instruction, add a terrier / cocker x and they hunt and hold the line better imo.

image.jpeg

Very smart that is Treehands. Absolute belter ?

• Like 2

gaz would you have another to pair with the 1 you have? or would you look at a X bred type like some of the belters off here???

I'm undecided mate. I will definitely have more than one busher in the future.

If this bitch carries on the way she's going I will breed her in a year or 2 and keep 2 bitch pups back. Wether I line her with a Plummer or another busher I don't know mate.

Plummer X whippet would be handy little Moochers come ferreters and suit me for what I do. That extra leg and whippet blood should deter them from dropping in. But again there are no guarantees. They wouldn't get where my Plummer gets though and the poor skin and coat would be a concern.

This Plummer looks like she's been through a mincer at the moment. Ears, nose, legs, neck and back all take some hammer when in the tight stuff.

I imagine a beddy cross or some of them purpose bred bushers would be a bit more "heavy duty". But she's only been at it 3 weeks and there's time for her skin to toughen up yet.

A border or something would thicken the coat and skin up.

Being kc registered means fuckall in working dogs , a kc registered dog and one that isn't will work exactly the same , only thing it means is £300 extra on the price , each to there own but kc means nothing in the ability of the dog

• Like 3

If you like it go for it but there's always the sprocker or terrier x Spaniel route may save you a Bob or 2.

Cockers are lovely dogs but a lot of what makes them what they are is the fact that they are quite needy and always looking at you ,but they certainly want to please .

A mates used to sit there staring at you and if you made the mistake of stroking it ,it wouldn't leave you alone lol lovely dog but as treehands said they need instructions,but live to work

• Like 2

Being kc registered means fuckall in working dogs , a kc registered dog and one that isn't will work exactly the same , only thing it means is £300 extra on the price , each to there own but kc means nothing in the ability of the dog

Yes but with a kc registered spaniel you've got the option to attend a few field trials in the summer if the dogs trained to a high enough standard

oi lads if you think thats expensive, get an eye full of this!!!!!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/1191632-professionally-trained-pet-cocker-spaniel-sheffield.html

I think that's same company I seen advertising last autumn ,the pet trained dogs labs,spaniels etc were £1995 ,which I thought was a piss take but then about month later they had wanted adverts for similar dogs,so they get cheap dogs train them and then charge 2 grand for them,ffs.
  • Like 1

Plucky , never seen a cocker with overly damaged ears in my 15 years of beating as for the cross , what a crock of shit !!!!!

My bitch is six now bred by myself , works the lamp... Rats as good if not better your plum xs..will work a field in front of the runners ..mark warrens an works the nets...an can put a shift in as good as spaniel on shoot day.

She killed 26rats just before taking pic

Do her ears look damaged !!!!!!!!

• Like 8

cheer for the in put lads,

as I have only ever kept running dogs my experience and knowledge is limited I this field, I have always fancied a cocker/terrier/beagle bushing type mongrel but haven't seemed to land on 1, because either I can't find any litters or a change in circumstances as last year I lost a running dog so ended up getting another lurcher pup.

stating the obvious here but out of the intended pup I will try my best to train it to be as versatile as possible...

general obedience and basics as good as possible, working cover on a variety of game, short/medium range, pick up shot game and retrieve, swim out to shot game and retrieve, mark warrens, good round nets, kill rats etc...

I guessing from what I have read over the years my best bet would be cocker/patt or something similar but it seems the are as common as a flying pig!!

ATB

Tom Heavy

Edited by TOM HEAVY

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

now that is a cracker im on the look out for two of this sort bloody hard to find.

• Like 1