Back Filling

have a couple days ferreting planned soon with a mate, i had thought two days(weekend) would be enough to cover the area.. the plan now is to do one day, backfill the sets and return a week later see whats/if are getting used and cover any didnt have time for..

just wondering if any of you backfill sets, not something ive done before, open to other methods if it helps get the job done..

Yes mate, my bitch is a decent marker, So far she's probably right 8 times out 10..

Just wanted to see if many people still backfill

Just take your bitch then mate be a lot easier than back filling every hole then calling back a week later to stick a ferret down the warren you filled last week
  • Like 1

Never done it mate ,But the last permission I got was like a swiss cheese smallest burrow 30/40 holes spent a lot of time there hitting it hard getting good bags then the farmer ploughed the three fields and any that opened up we just ferreted them after a bit we got on top of them apart from the slopes he couldn't plough still large big burrows

I often get asked about filling in the burrows after I ferret them I say im doing pest control im no a gardener

You saw what the woman at Montrose does do you think it works ?>

• Like 1

Never done it mate ,But the last permission I got was like a swiss cheese smallest burrow 30/40 holes spent a lot of time there hitting it hard getting good bags then the farmer ploughed the three fields and any that opened up we just ferreted them after a bit we got on top of them apart from the slopes he couldn't plough still large big burrows

I often get asked about filling in the burrows after I ferret them I say im doing pest control im no a gardener

You saw what the woman at Montrose does do you think it works ?>

Forgot about that one mate. She didnt just back fill, fence posts and anything else she could find lol Edited by Joe1888
  • 2 weeks later...

we were clearing an area hat had been tree planted and rabbit netted all round (no dog at this time).

we back filled them all until there was no sign.

also did it on massive sets as we went but just so we never had to net so many holes.

cheers P

It is a good show to fill your holes for your farmer. Adds a little extra pest control as you would hope the rabbits move on for an easier shelter. One of mine talks as if he wants the 'holes' gone for the machinery, but... it's my favourite field!

It moves away from a day out, to work, if your filling in warrens in my opinion. Especially if it's 20+ holes!