Siberian Bullfinch Seems To Be Gasping

Relatively new to these little birds, and I think my cock bird has got the gapes. He looks very healthy in him self strong flying about in his aviary having a wonderful time chirping away and so forth. But when he sits on one of his perches for a while he starts gasping.He's a 2015 bird so only baby

I have read a article saying that intradine is good for them, in there drinking water, I have tried ordering it but apparently I need a prescription for it any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm really worried about him and don't want to loose him if I can help it.

All the best David j

You want Tylan for the gapes,i bought a bully hen a few years back that had it and a few days on tylan and it got it sorted.One cause is over feeding or them just being greedy buggers so if caged i'd watch how much food it's getting but in a bigish flight you shouldn't have to much bother with to be honest as i have 2 pairs of bullies and they have hanging feeders 24/7 and get extra bits and pieces and i've had no problems with them what so ever....

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

I had to get some off a vet mate,i told him what i wanted and why but still had to take the bird in to see him,he was stood reading a book on bird illnesses when i gotthere and to tell you the truth i told him i was pissed off with having to take a bird in to show him when it was ill when he knew f**k all about them.So try to have a word with your vet and ask him if you can not put the bird through the stess of being caught and brought it when you know whats wrong and what you need,good luck with it all and it can be a bugger but also easy to sort at times :victory: ..

• Like 1

Thanks fireman much appreciated for the advise mate, that is my big worry about catching up and taking to a vet.

The mrs has been on the case tonight with her vet as she's just paid a shed load of money to her vet to have laser treatment on her horse to remove sarcoids from it so I'm hoping even though she's a equine vet she might be able to do me a favour and prescribe me some really appreciate your advise fireman I'm on the case now.

• Like 1

Are you feeding to much hemp???

In there diet

They are in a big aviary with a few canaries and a few other finches, and are munching on Johnson and Jeff canary seed as well as the Johnson and Jeff finch option from the other feeder.

There is hempseed in the canary feed I give them

Then soaking seed every other day, but they are always whiz zing about so I thought that they would be burning off any excess fat.

Strange it should suffer from the gapes due to over feeding then as i think the same as you that they should be burning off the calories in a flight like that and i have hemp in my food and again no problems with it,but do be carefull of when the cock comes into condition as he can be a bugger with your canary cocks and he mght well try to kill them.I've just seperated a goldie pair from a bully pair out in a flight as the bully cock was just starting to show signs of wanting to be on his own with his hen and i've redpolls feeding each other now so it ain't to far away now is the hetic time :thumbs: ..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

I hope your bullie gets back to form.

You mentioned intradine in your first post, I'd just like to say that intradine(brand name) is a sulpha drug used as a preventative to stop greenfinches going light (coccidiosis) and is very effective in that respect but will not cure various ailments associated with native birds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...